MV California Star (1945)
California Star was an 8,577 GRT refrigerated cargo liner that was built in 1945 as Empire Clarendon by Harland and Wolff Ltd, Belfast for the Ministry of War Transport (MoWT). In 1947 she was sold and renamed Tuscan Star, then Timaru Star in 1948. She was sold again in 1950 and was renamed California Star in 1959. She was scrapped in 1969.
|Port of registry:|
|Builder:||Harland and Wolff Ltd, Belfast|
|Launched:||14 May 1945|
|Completed:||26 October 1945|
|Fate:||Scrapped in 1969|
|Class and type:||refrigerated cargo liner|
|Length:||457.3 ft (139.4 m)|
|Beam:||63.3 ft (19.3 m)|
|Draught:||37 ft 8 in (11.48 m)|
|Depth:||35 ft (11 m)|
|Installed power:||2SC DA diesel engine|
|Speed:||14 knots (26 km/h)|
|Sensors and |
The ship was 457 feet 3 inches (139.37 m) long, with a beam of 63 feet 3 inches (19.28 m) and a depth of 30 feet 0 inches (9.14 m). She had a GRT of 8,577 and a NRT of 6,826. Accommodation was provided for 35 passengers. This was reduced to 12 in 1948.
The ship was propelled by a two-stroke single cycle double-acting marine Diesel engine that had eight cylinders of 21 1⁄2 inches (55 cm) diameter by 63 inches (160 cm) stroke. The engine was built by Burmeister & Wain.
Empire Clarendon was built for the MoWT. She was a sister ship to Empire Abercorn.
On 27 November 1946, Empire Clarendon was sold to Frederick Leyland & Co Ltd. She was placed under the management of the Blue Star Line Ltd. In 1947 she was renamed Tuscan Star, followed by another renaming to Timaru Star in 1948. In 1949, she was sold to Lamport & Holt Line Ltd, Liverpool. She was renamed California Star in 1958, and sold to the Blue Star Line Ltd in 1959. With the introduction of IMO Numbers, 5058002 was allocated to California Star. In March 1968 California Star was laid up in the River Blackwater, Essex. Re-entering service by July 1968, she served until 1969, when she was sold to Tsuan Yau Steel & Iron Works Co Ltd. She arrived on 21 April 1969 at Kaohsiung, Taiwan for scrapping, which was commenced on 20 May 1969.
- McCluskie, Tom (2013). The Rise and Fall of Harland and Wolff. Stroud: The History Press. p. 154. ISBN 9780752488615.
- "Blue Star's M.V. "Tuscan Star" 2, Blue Star's M.V. "Timaru Star" 1, Blue Star's M.V. "California Star" 2". Blue Star Line. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- "Lloyd's Register, Steamers & Motorships" (PDF). Plimsoll Ship Data. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- "Vessel 29 of 276". Mersea Museum. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- Mitchell, WH; Sawyer, LA (1990). The Empire Ships. London, New York, Hamburg, Hong Kong: Lloyd's of London Press. ISBN 1-85044-275-4.
- "Empire Clarendon". New Zealand Maritime Index. Retrieved 14 April 2010.
- "TUSCAN STAR / EMPIRE CLARENDON / TIMARU STAR / CALIFORNIA STAR 1945". The Ships List. Retrieved 14 April 2010.