MV British Cavalier
British Cavalier was a 9,891 GRT tanker that was built in 1942 for the Ministry of War Transport (MoWT) as Empire Cavalier. In 1945, she was sold to the British Tanker Co Ltd and renamed British Cavalier, serving until 1959 when she was scrapped.
|Port of registry:|
|Builder:||Sir J Laing & Sons Ltd|
|Launched:||27 August 1942|
|Out of service:||November 1957 – May 1959|
|Length:||482 ft 7 in (147.09 m)|
|Beam:||68 ft 3 in (20.80 m)|
|Depth:||36 ft 1 in (11.00 m)|
|Installed power:||4SCSA diesel engine|
The ship was built by Sir J Laing & Sons Ltd, Sunderland. She was launched on 27 August 1942 and completed in November.
She was propelled by a 4-stroke Single Cycle Single Action diesel engine which had eight cylinders 25 9⁄16 inches (64.9 cm) diameter by 55 1⁄8 inches (140 cm) stroke. The engine was built by Hawthorn, Leslie & Co Ltd, Newcastle upon Tyne.
Empire Castle was built for the MoWT. She was placed under the management of Mungo Campbell & Co Ltd. She was allocated the United Kingdom Official Number 169033. The Code Letters BFCF were allocated and her port of registry was Sunderland.
- ON 166
- HX 229
- HX 313
Convoy HX 313 departed New York on 10 October 1944 and arrived at Liverpool on 24 October. Empire Cavalier was bound for Thameshaven.
In 1945, Empire Cavalier was sold to the British Tanker Co Ltd and renamed British Cavalier. She served until 1957, and was laid up on 13 November at Swansea. On 23 May 1959, she arrived at Briton Ferry for scrapping.
- Mitchell, W.H.; Sawyer, L.A. (1995). The Empire Ships. London, New York, Hamburg, Hong Kong: Lloyd's of London Press Ltd. p. not cited. ISBN 1-85044-275-4.
- "LLOYD'S REGISTER, NAVIRES A VAPEUR ET A MOTEURS" (PDF). Plimsoll Ship Data. Retrieved 14 March 2010.
- "CONVOY ON 166". Warsailors. Retrieved 15 March 2010.
- "CONVOY HX 229". Warsailors. Retrieved 15 March 2010.
- "CONVOY HX 313". Warsailors. Retrieved 15 March 2010.