MSC Magnifica is a Musica-class cruise ship operated by MSC Cruises. Constructed by STX Europe in Saint-Nazaire, the ship was launched in January 2009, completed in January 2010, and entered service in March 2010.
MSC Magnifica in Turkey
|Owner:||Mediterranean Shipping Company S.A.|
|Port of registry:||
Panama City, |
|Builder:||STX Europe (Saint-Nazaire, France)|
|Christened:||6 March 2010 in Hamburg|
|Maiden voyage:||9 March 2010 from Amsterdam|
|In service:||March 2010|
|Class and type:||Musica-class cruise ship|
|Draught:||7.85 m (25.8 ft)|
|Speed:||23 knots (43 km/h; 26 mph)|
Design and construction
The vessel is 293.8 metres (964 ft) long, with a beam of 32.2 metres (106 ft). The 93,330-gross ton vessel can reach a maximum speed of 23 knots (43 km/h). Magnifica has 1,259 cabins - 2,550 passengers can be carried at double occupancy, while 3,605 can be carried at full capacity. The ship has 1,027 crew.
Magnifica was identified by the shipyard hull number T32 during construction. In fact, Magnifica's onboard disco is named after her shipyard hull number. The IMO ship identification number 9387085 will remain associated with the ship throughout her life, even if she changes names or operating companies.
Magnifica was floated out of her dry dock in a launching ceremony in January 2009. A 72-hour sea trial period was successfully completed on 17 January 2010, despite poor weather and 50-knot (93 km/h) winds. A flag-changing ceremony was held on 25 February 2010 in Saint-Nazaire. The ship was christened on 6 March 2010 at a ceremony in Hamburg by the godmother to the MSC Cruises fleet, Italian actress Sophia Loren.
The ship has 13 passenger accessible decks, three swimming pools, a gymnasium, spa and wellness centre, a 1,250-seat Art Deco-style theatre, casino, cinema, bowling alley and a number of dining areas and bars.
Renovation & Lengthening
On 10 September 2019 it was announced that in April 2021 just before the summer season, in which the ship will be homeported to Southampton, MSC Magnifica will be stretched by 23 meters. The 140 million euro renovation will bring two new restaurants, a new shopping area, a new water park, 215 new cabins (92 with balcony) and the most modern ecological systems: a state-of-the-art Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) system and next-generation Advanced Wastewater Treatment (AWT) system. Also it will get a shorepower system.
The ships regular itineraries position her in South America during the winter season and Northern Europe in the summer months.
Magnifica was under criticism in April 2014 after it was revealed that Brazilian police had to rescue eleven crew members on board that were living in 'slave-like conditions' whilst docked in Salvador, Brazil.
On 5 January 2019, Magnifica will start her first World Cruise. It will start from Genoa and will be 119 days long. Magnifica will visit 6 continents, 32 countries, 49 destinations. The ship will return to Genoa on 3 May 2019.
Magnifica will be undertaking a second World Cruise leaving in January 2020. The 116-night cruise will start at Genoa on 5 January 2020 and call at 43 ports in 23 countries. She will end her World Cruise in Genoa on 30 April 2020.
- "Technical Sheet" (PDF). MSC Cruises. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 July 2011. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- "Successful sea trials for MSC Crociere's newest ship". Independent Online. Standard Publications Ltd. Archived from the original on 15 February 2010. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- "MSC Magnifica". ShipParade.com. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- Colton, Tim. "Large Cruise Ships on Order". ShipbuildingHistory.com. Archived from the original on 15 February 2010. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- "MSC Magnifica (939442)". Port State Information Exchange. United States Coast Guard. Retrieved 16 February 2010.
- "MSC Magnifica". Ship Info. Archived from the original on 19 February 2010. Retrieved 16 February 2010.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)
- Adam Coulter (ed.). "MSC Cruises to Offer Full Ex-UK Season of Sailings on Stretched and Refurbished Ship". Retrieved 10 September 2019.
- "MSC Magnifica Is Going To Conquer the World | CruiseBe". CruiseBe. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- "MSC World Cruise 2020". MSC Cruises UK.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to MSC Magnifica.|