MSC Bellissima in Saint-Nazaire (France) shipyard the day before its departure.
|Port of registry:||
|Ordered:||20 March 2014|
|Builder:||Chantiers de l'Atlantique|
|Laid down:||15 November 2017|
|Launched:||14 June 2018|
|Christened:||2 March 2019|
|Acquired:||27 February 2019|
|Maiden voyage:||4 March 2019|
|In service:||4 March 2019|
|Class and type:||Meraviglia-class|
|Length:||315.83 metres (1,036.2 ft)|
|Draught:||8.75 metres (28.7 ft)|
|Installed power:||38,400 kilowatts (51,500 hp)|
|Propulsion:||2 × ABB Azipods|
|Speed:||21.8 knots (40.4 km/h; 25.1 mph)|
Design and construction
MSC Cruises and STX France cut the first steel of Bellissima on November 28, 2016. Her keel laying and coin ceremony happened on November 15, 2017. On June 14, 2018, the ship was floated out. Her sea trials took place in December 2018.
Her delivery ceremony took place on February 27, 2019. Bellissima was officially named on March 2, 2019, at Southampton, by the actress, Sophia Loren. The original ceremony in a marquee on the quayside had to be abandoned due to high winds, so a substitute ceremony was quickly organised and Loren pressed a button on the ship's bridge to smash the bottle of champagne on the ship's bows.
MSC Cruises collaborated with Harman International to bring "ZOE," the first virtual assistant to be featured on any cruise ship, to the MSC Bellissima and future MSC Cruises ships. In September 2019, as a part of MSC Cruises' longstanding relationship with Swarovski, the Bellissima will feature a suite fully embellished with 700,000 crystals.
MSC Bellissima departed for her maiden voyage on March 4, 2019. She will spend her maiden season in the Mediterranean, before re-positioning to the Persian Gulf in November 2019, cruising from Dubai for the winter season. She will then be redeployed to Asia to serve MSC's China program in Spring 2020.
- "MSC BELLISSIMA (9760524)". Veristar Info. Bureau Veritas. Retrieved 2019-03-25.
- "MSC Bellissima Cruise Ship: Review & Photos on Cruise Critic". www.cruisecritic.com. Retrieved 2018-02-01.
- "MSC Bellissima Ship Stats & Information- MSC Cruises MSC Bellissima Cruises: Travel Weekly". www.travelweekly.com. Retrieved 2018-02-01.
- "Cruise ship launch timeline | MSC Bellissima| MSC Cruises". MSC Cruises Australia Website. Retrieved 2018-02-01.
- "MSC Cruises Finalizes Contract for Two New Meraviglia-Plus Ships". TravelPulse. Retrieved 2018-02-01.
- "MSC Cruises Cuts Steel for First Meraviglia Plus-class Ship, MSC Grandiosa; Coin Ceremony Held for MSC Bellissima". www.cruisecritic.com. Retrieved 2019-09-13.
- "MSC Bellissima Casts Off for Sea Trials | World Maritime News". worldmaritimenews.com. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- Mathisen, Monty (2018-12-21). "MSC Bellissima Departs from Chantiers de l'Atlantique For Sea Trials". www.cruiseindustrynews.com. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- "MSC Bellissima Christened". The Maritime Executive. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- Ross, Andrew. "Star-studded naming of MSC Bellissima halted by bad weather". Daily Echo. Retrieved 3 March 2019.
- "This New Cruise Ship Will Have Virtual Assistants to Give You Everything You Could Possibly Need". Travel + Leisure. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- "MSC Bellissima to debut Swarovski suite, Grandiosa will have fine art experience". Seatrade Cruise News. 2019-09-09. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- Staff, C. I. N. (2019-02-27). "Chantiers de l'Atlantique Delivers MSC Bellissima". www.cruiseindustrynews.com. Retrieved 2019-09-12.
- "MSC Cruises' newest mega cruise ship MSC Bellissima will cruise roundtrip from Dubai in 2020 -". 2018-02-12. Retrieved 2018-05-22.