The Luchterhand Literaturverlag is a German publisher of contemporary literature based in Munich. It was founded in 1924 and was acquired by Random House in 2001. Luchterhand is considered one of the most prestigious publishers in Germany. Publications include literature from Günter Grass and Christa Wolf and many others.
|Parent company||Verlagsgruppe Random House|
|Founder||Karl Wilhelm Luchterhand|
|Country of origin||Germany|
|Key people||Georg Reuchlein|
In 1924, Hermann Karl Wilhelm Luchterhand founded Luchterhand publisher in Berlin, dedicated to taxation and law. He then published an information pamphlet on taxation, which added to the earlier publications of forms and manuals for the payroll office. In 1934, he appointed Eduard Reifferscheid as managing partner. In 1936 Luchterhand went back to his private life. The reasons of Hermann Luchterhands withdrawal are still unknown. After the end of World War II, the companies headquarters moved during the reconstruction from Berlin to Neuwied. Where Alfred Andersch, along with many others, participated with his magazine articles and drawings to create an additional literary program. The first literary publications appeared in 1954.
The literary program of Luchterhand exists since the year 1954. The publisher released several works from numerous important authors: such as "Die Vorzüge der Windhühner", the first book by Günter Grass which was followed in 1959 by the novel "The Tin Drum". Besides Grass were, Peter Bichsel, Mikhail Bulgakov, Max von der Grün, Peter Härtling, Helmut Heissenbüttel, Günter Herburger, Arno Holz, Ernst Jandl, Hermann Kant, Kurt Marti, Pablo Neruda, Anna Seghers, Michael Scharang, Robert Wolfgang Schnell, Claude Simon, Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, Jörg Steiner, Carl Sternheim, Gabriele Wohmann, Christa Wolf, William Butler Yeats and many other authors represented in the program of Luchterhand. An important part in the program had up until the 1990s licensed editions from DDR-authors. In 1993, the Luchterhand collection was sold to dtv Verlagsgesellschaft. Luchterhand has works from more than 100 writers available. Every year over twenty new titles appear. Among the more well-known works from recent years include "Gleis 4" by Franz Hohler, "Das Ungeheuer" Terézia Mora, "Die Erfindung des Lebens" by Hanns-Josef Ortheil and also "Vor dem Fest" by Saša Stanišić.
- "Luchterhand Literaturverlag" (in German). Verlagsgruppe Random House. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- "Verlagsgruppe Random House übernimmt Luchterhand Literaturverlag" (in German). Der Standard. 29 October 2001. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- "Kurz vor Ladenschluß" (in German). DER SPIEGEL. 10 January 1994. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- Philipp Gessler (11 August 2012). "Ein dunkler Keller" (in German). taz. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- Hannes Hintermeier (15 July 2004). "Luchterhand hat eine neue Verlagsleitung" (in German). Frankfurter Allgemeine. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- Walter, Otto F. (1975). Luchterhand: die ersten 50 Jahre (in German). Neuwied and Darmstadt: Hermann-Luchterhand-Verlag. p. 59.
- Walter, Otto F. (1975). Luchterhand: die ersten 50 Jahre (in German). Neuwied and Darmstadt: Hermann-Luchterhand-Verlag. p. 22.
- "Bücher A-Z" (in German). Random House. Retrieved 2 March 2016.