Lucas Mendes (soccer)
Lucas Mendes (born December 29, 1997) is an American professional soccer player who plays for USL League One club Richmond Kickers. Mendes is usually employed as a winger, but can be used as a striker or a central midfielder.
|Date of birth||December 29, 1997|
|Place of birth||Arlington, Virginia, United States|
|Height||5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)|
|2017||New York Cosmos B||0||(0)|
|2014||United States U18||3||(1)|
|2016||United States U20||3||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of October 21, 2019|
Mendes won Gatorade Player of the Year award for boys' soccer in 2016. The award is a national-recognized award given to the best high school athlete in the nation. Mendes won the award while playing for Washington-Lee High School in Arlington, Virginia. Outside of playing for the Washington-Lee Generals boys' soccer team, Mendes also played for the D.C. United Academy system.
Youth and college
During Mendes' first three years of high school, he opted to play for D.C. United's academy as opposed to high school soccer, due to a U.S. Soccer ruling prohibiting players from playing both high school soccer and academy soccer. While playing for D.C. United's academy, Mendes tallied 25 goals and 17 assists in 45 matches with the team, which helped him earn NSCAA Club All-American honors in 2015. During his senior year of high school, Mendes opted to play high school soccer, and played for Washington-Lee High School's boys varsity soccer team. During the Spring 2016 season, he tallied 21 goals and had 12 assists with the Generals, helping them win a state championship over First Colonial High School. Mendes earned 2016 NSCAA High-School All-America honors, and All-USA Boys Soccer First team honors.
Mendes was listed as a four-star recruit by Top Drawer Soccer, and the 24th best recruit in the nation by College Soccer News. Mendes was recruited to play for the Virginia Cavaliers, considered by many to be one of the most elite collegiate soccer teams in the United States. During Mendes' freshman year with the Cavaliers, he appeared in eight matches, making one start. Mendes did not appear in any more matches during the 2016 season after suffering from mononucleosis.
- Gatorade High School National Player of the Year (boys' soccer): 2016
- Virginia High School State Player of the Year: 2016
- NSCAA High School All-American: 2016
- NSCAA Club Soccer All-American: 2015
- Virginia 6A State Championship: 2016
- "Lucas Mendes - D.C. United U-17/U-18". U.S. Soccer Development Academy. USSoccerDA.com. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- Eilerson, Nick (May 10, 2016). "Washington-Lee midfielder Lucas Mendes stunned by Gatorade National Boys' Soccer Player of the Year honor". The Washington Post. WashingtonPost.com. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- Konecky, Chad (May 10, 2016). "Lucas Mendes wins Gatorade National Soccer Player of the Year". USA Today. Gannett Company. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- "14 D.C. United Academy players announce they will play Division 1 soccer". D.C. United. DCUnited.com. February 3, 2016. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- Tolliver, Lee. "First Colonial falls in Group 6A state boys soccer final". The Virginian-Pilot. Landmark Media Enterprises. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- "W-L Senior Named National Boys Soccer Player of the Year". ARLNow.com. Local News Now LLC. May 11, 2016. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- "Lucas Mendes - TDS". TopDrawerSoccer.com. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- "Overall Individual Statistics - Virginia Men's Soccer 2016". Virginia Cavaliers. VirginiaSports.com. December 1, 2016. Retrieved January 16, 2017.
- "Lucas Mendes - U.S. Soccer". United States Soccer Federation. USSoccer.com. Retrieved January 16, 2017.