Lu Han (Chinese: 鹿晗, born April 20, 1990), also known as Luhan, is a Chinese singer and actor. He was a member of the South Korean-Chinese boy group Exo and its sub-group Exo-M, before leaving the group in October 2014. That year, he was ranked the sixth most popular entertainment star in China by China National Radio. In 2017, Lu Han was listed as the second highest-paid celebrity in the Forbes China Celebrity 100, behind only Fan Bingbing.
Luhan in 2014
|Alma mater||Seoul Institute of the Arts|
|Partner(s)||Guan Xiaotong (2017–present)|
|Origin||Seoul, South Korea|
Lu Han released his solo debut album Reloaded in 2015, and has starred in several box office hits such as 20 Once Again (2015), The Witness (2015), and Time Raiders (2016). In 2017, he starred in his first television series, Fighter of the Destiny.
Lu Han was born on April 20, 1990 in Haidian, Beijing. He graduated from Beijing Shida Middle School and attended Beijing Haidian Foreign Language Shi Yan School before leaving for South Korea to attend Yonsei University as an exchange student. He majored in Applied Music at the Seoul Institute of the Arts.
In 2008, Lu Han unsuccessfully auditioned for JYP Entertainment at their global audition in China. In 2010, while studying in Seoul, he was scouted while in Myeong-dong by an SM Entertainment representative who recommended he audition for the company; after which he became a trainee under the agency.
Along with Tao, Chen, and Kai, Luhan made his first televised performance at the SBS Gayo Daejeon on December 29, 2011. Following this appearance, he was the second member of Exo to be officially introduced, as one of the four Chinese members of the group and its Mandarin-language sub-group Exo-M.
2015–2016: Solo debut and first tour
Luhan often contributed to the soundtracks of movies he participated in. He sung the theme song for 20 Once Again, titled "Our Tomorrow". The music video of the song surpassed 1 million views in 47 minutes, setting a new record. He then released a rendition of "Tian mi mi" for the film Comrades: Almost a Love Story. Director Peter Chan is said to have asked Luhan to participate due to his gentle and clear voice as he felt it would be effective in expressing the emotions of the song.
Luhan first announced his solo album in July 2015, where he will collaborate with famous producer Djemba Djemba. This is also Djemba's first time producing an album for an Asian artist. The same month, he collaborated with David Tao in a bidding song for the 2022 Winter Olympics held in Beijing.
Luhan's first digital album Reloaded I was released on September 10, 2015 via QQ Music charts. It sold 880,000 copies on the first day, the highest recorded sales number on the first day of official release. Reloaded I also reached over one million sales on QQ Music, setting the record for fastest digital album sales. In November, he released the single "Medals", which also serves as the soundtrack for the 2015 film The Witness. Medals topped the V Chart as well as Billboard Hot 100, becoming the first Mandarin single to top the latter. In December, he released "Deep", a promotional song for the Chinese version of Kungfu Panda 3.
Luhan's first studio album, Reloaded was released on December 14, 2015. The album topped the Tower Records chart in Japan, and became the only album from mainland China to enter the Top 5 of Taiwan's G-Music year-end chart. Reloaded sold over 3 million copies and was also certified platinum by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, becoming the first album in mainland China to do so.
Luhan attended the QQ Music Awards, winning the Best Digital Album of the Year for Reloaded as well as the Best Male Singer of the Year. He then embarked on his first solo concert tour, the "Luhan Reloaded: 2016 Luhan 1st China Tour". The tour traveled to Beijing on March 26, Guangzhou on April 2, and Shanghai on April 9. The same month, he won the All-round Artist of the Year and Media Recommended Album of the Year awards at the Chinese Golden Charts Awards; and the Album of the Year and Artist of the Year awards at the 4th V Chart Awards. He is also the first Chinese singer to achieve a double platinum record, having sold over 2 million copies of Reloaded I.
2016–present: XXVII (27)
Starting from late 2016, Luhan announced that he will be releasing a series of albums under the theme "XXVII", which stands for “Xperience”, “Xplore”, “Venture”, “Imagination" and "I". The albums are meant to document Luhan's growth story at the age of 27.
On October 21, 2016, Luhan unveiled his third digital album Xperience with the track "Catch Me When I Fall". The song is jointly produced by Santell, whom participated in Luhan’s first solo album Reloaded, and the Picard Brothers, a French producer team who has crafted songs for Diplo and Chris Brown. On December 27, 2016, he published his fourth digital album Xplore, containing the tracks "Winter Song" and "Skin to Skin". "Skin to Skin' is Luhan's second English-language song, and incorporates various genres such as R&B, Future Bass, Electro and House.
On February 21, 2017, Luhan unveiled his fifth digital album Venture with the songs "What if I Said" and "Roleplay". He participated in writing the lyrics for the track "Roleplay", which details his own experience in dealing with harassment from the paparazzi. "Imagination" was released in April 2017 and consisted of two tracks - "On Call" (his first attempt at the fusion jazz genre) and "Say It". "I", the last part of the album series, was released in June 2017 with two songs "Set It Off" and "On Fire".
On July 20, 2017, Luhan won the "Album of the Year" award at the Asian Music Gala for the XXVII album series. On September 9, 2017, he released a single for the soundtrack of the film Sky Hunter.
Television and film career
Luhan made his film debut in the 2015 film 20 Once Again, the Chinese remake of the Korean hit movie Miss Granny. It topped box office charts and broke records to become the highest-grossing Korean-Chinese co-produced film. For his performance, he won the "Newcomer of the Year" award at the Beijing International Film Festival, as well as the "Most Popular Actor" award at the Beijing College Student Film Festival. The same year, he joined the cast of Hurry Up, Brother, a spin-off from the original South Korean variety program Running Man. Luhan then starred opposite Yang Mi in the crime thriller The Witness, a remake of the 2011 Korean movie Blind.
In 2016, he starred in the fantasy-action-adventure film Time Raiders, based on the online novel series Tomb Raiders. The film premiered on August 5 and topped box office charts, becoming the biggest summer hit of 2016. He then featured in The Great Wall, a historical epic directed by Zhang Yimou.
In 2017, Luhan starred in his first television drama Fighter of the Destiny, a fantasy wuxia series based on the novel of the same name. In June, he was cast in the youth sports drama Sweet Combat alongside Guan Xiaotong. In September, it was announced that Luhan was cast in the upcoming science fiction film Shanghai Fortress alongside Shu Qi. The film is adapted from the 2006 novel Once Upon a Time in Shanghai and will be released in 2019.
In the media
Luhan has been dubbed by foreign media as the Chinese counterpart of popular pop star Justin Bieber, due to his massive popularity and dedicated fandom in China. The term "Luhan effect" was used to describe his massive influence among fans. He currently holds the Guinness World Record holder for the "Most Comments on a Weibo Post", which was established in August 2014 and subsequently surpassed by Luhan himself in September 2015. In 2016, he set a second Guinness World Record for the "Largest gathering of people wearing antlers" at the 2016 LuHan Reloaded China Tour, in Beijing, China. He is also noted for his achievements in both music and film, holding records on Chinese digital music platforms; and ranking at the top of the Star Box-office Chart on nuomi.com, one of the country's largest online ticket-buying platforms.
Yan Siwei, a broker who works in the entertainment industry, opined that Luhan stands for a new fandom model; in this model, the artist uses social media data instead of works to galvanize fans, and the fans are well-organized to protect the artist and maintain the fandom. GQ did an investigation on the fandom and call it "a systemic, detailed social labor division and powerful execution empire." After Luhan outsold Jay Chou by several million albums, some raised concerns about whether Mandopop has "died" or become over-commercialized. In 2019, the failure of Shanghai Fortress made some question if Luhan and this model would flop soon. A guest in a talk program opined that these kind of artists are "meteors" instead of "stars."
Luhan first appeared on the Forbes China Celebrity 100 in 2015, ranking 37th. He rose up 35 spots to rank 2nd in 2017, becoming the highest ranked male celebrity in China. In 2016, Luhan was featured on Business of Fashion's "BOF 100" rankings, becoming the only Chinese celebrity to make it onto the rankings, and was given the title of "Most Anticipated Chinese Star". He is also the first celebrity born after 1990 to be named the "Artist of the Year" by China Newsweek.
Endorsements and ambassador roles
Luhan is one of the most in-demand brand ambassadors in China, particularly among the younger generation. His endorsement ranges from local products such as Oppo mobile phones and Baidu interactive maps to international ones like Puma and Cartier SA, of which he is their first Asian endorser.
On December 1, 2015, Luhan was announced to be the official China ambassador of Star Wars. He released a single titled "The Inner Force", which is the official Chinese promotional theme song for Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
From 2015 to 2016, Luhan appeared on the cover of more than 20 magazines. He became the first Chinese celebrity to grace the covers of Elle China, GQ Style, Forbes China, Harper's Bazaar and Cosmopolitan. He broke the record for having more than 200,000 people buy out a 20,000 limited edition run of a magazine cover in one second.
On October 8, 2017, it was announced that Luhan is in a relationship with Chinese actress Guan Xiaotong.
In August 2019, during the 2019 Hong Kong protests, Luhan shared photos of the Chinese flag accompanied by the hashtags "the Chinese national flag has 1.4 billion flag bearers" and "I am a flag bearer" on his official Weibo account.
- Reloaded (2015)
- XXVII+ (2017)
|2015||20 Once Again||Xiang Qianjin|
|12 Golden Ducks||K-pop dancer||Cameo|
|The Witness||Lin Chong||Lead role|
|2016||Time Raiders||Wu Xie||Lead role|
|The Great Wall||Peng Yong|
|See You Tomorrow||Ma Li (young)||Cameo|
|2017||The Founding of an Army||Deng Xiaoping||Cameo|
|2019||Shanghai Fortress||Jiang Yang|
|2017||Fighter of the Destiny||Chen Changsheng||Hunan TV||Lead role|
|2018||Sweet Combat||Ming Tian||Lead role|
|2015–2018||Keep Running||Cast member||Zhejiang Television|
|2018||Hot Blood Dance Crew||Dance mentor||iQiyi|
|"Maxstep" (as part of Younique Unit)||2012|
|"Please Come to the Great Wall to Ski" (with David Tao)|
|"The Inner Force"||2016|
|"Back to 17"|
|"Let Me By Your Side"|
|"Chasing Dream With Childlike Heart"||2017|
|"The Last Game" (remake; Kim Min-kyo)||2014|
Awards and nominations
|2014||2014 Baidu Moments Conference||Most Valuable Male Star||Won|
|iQiyi All-Star Carnival Night||Asia Popular Idol Award||Won|
|Tudou Young Choice Awards||Person of the Year||Won|
|Baidu Fudian||Annual Most Popular Male Artist||Won|
|2015||2014 Sina Weibo Night||Weibo Male God of the Year||Won|
|20 Once Again||5th Beijing International Film Festival||Newcomer of the Year||Won|
|22nd Beijing College Student Film Festival||Most Popular Actor||Won|
|12th Guangzhou University Student Film Festival||Most Popular Actor||Won|
|2016||Reloaded||QQ Music Awards||Best Digital Album of the Year||Won|
|Best Male Singer of the Year||Won|
|Reloaded||Music Radio Global Chinese Golden Chart||Media Recommended Album of the Year||Won|
|All-round Artist of the Year||Won|
|"Medals"||Top 20 Songs of the Year||Won|
|Reloaded||4th V Chart Awards||Best Album of the Year||Won|
|Best Male Artist - Mainland||Won|
|Tencent Star Awards||Asia All-Round Artist Award||Won|
|iQiyi All-Star Carnival||Asia All-Rounded Artist||Won|
|2017||XXVII||Asian Music Gala||Album of the Year||Won|
|"Winter Song"||Fresh Asia Chart Festival 2017||Top 10 Songs||Won|
|"What If I Said"||Won|
|"Skin to Skin"||Best Music Video||Won|
|2018||iQiyi Scream Night 2019||All-round Artist of the Year||Won|
- Lee, Min-Jeong. "EXO Member Luhan Files Lawsuit to Leave K-Pop Group". WSJ. Retrieved May 17, 2016.
- 2014十大最红明星排行榜. China National Radio. December 3, 2014. Retrieved January 8, 2015.
- Flannery, Russell. "2017 Forbes China Celebrity List (Full List)". Forbes. Retrieved October 8, 2017.
- "SM Reveals New EXO Member, Lu Han". enewsWorld. December 27, 2011.
- "鹿晗《重返20岁》MV播放量47分破百万 创纪新录". Tencent. Retrieved February 15, 2017.
- "Luhan lends his gentle voice for remake of 'Tian Mi Mi' for the OST of 'Comrades: Almost A Love Story'". Allkpop. February 2, 2015. Retrieved February 3, 2015.
- "鹿晗献唱北京申办冬奥会歌曲 和陶喆合作圆梦". Tencent. May 27, 2015.
- "LUHAN BREAKS RECORDS: DIGITAL ALBUM "RELOADED" OVER ONE MILLION SALES IN 5 DAYS". Taipei Main. September 19, 2015.
- "鹿晗成首个Billboard公告牌华语冠军". iFeng. 17 November 2015.
- "《功夫熊猫3》推广曲MV首曝光 阿宝鹿晗联手". Tencent. December 2, 2015.
- "鹿晗《Reloaded》空降台湾销量榜冠军内地出货量第一". iFeng. December 30, 2015.
- "鹿晗新专辑跻身台湾五大金榜年销量前五". China Daily. January 12, 2016.
- "鹿晗《Reloaded》成内地首个殿堂金钻唱片". Tencent. June 11, 2016.
- "Luhan Announces Stops For First China Tour". hellokpop. January 19, 2016.
- "Luhan break 2 million album sales history of the first Double Diamond Certification". nancaoren.com. May 22, 2016.
- "鹿晗获史上首位双钻认证 打破界限缔造时代偶像". Tencent. May 23, 2016.
- "LuHan XXVII Special Film "27"". Luhan Studio via Youtube. July 26, 2017.
- "鹿晗亲自操刀新专 《某时某刻》QQ音乐独家首发". Tencent. October 21, 2016.
- "鹿晗迷你专辑《Xplore》发行 展音乐审美". Sina. December 27, 2016.
- "鹿晗《Skin to skin》MV上线 彩色梦境营造神秘". Tencent. January 19, 2017.
- "鹿晗发布全新迷你专辑 情歌《如果》首发解锁". February 21, 2017.
- "鹿晗推MINI專輯《Venture》 用音樂表達態度". Sina. March 21, 2017.
- "鹿晗首度作词对窥私有话直说 新歌舞蹈版MV首发". Tencent. February 27, 2017.
- "鹿晗《Imagination》封面曝光 歌曲展情绪对立面". Sina. April 20, 2017.
- "鹿晗《I》上线 美式电子曲风引领年轻音乐审美". Tencent. June 27, 2017.
- "鹿晗"XXVII"销量口碑双丰收 获年度唱片大赏". Tencent. July 20, 2017.
- "《空天猎》片尾曲MV《追梦赤子心》今天正式上线". NetEase. September 11, 2017.
- "(Yonhap Feature) Korean film industry finds new path to reach out to overseas markets". Yonhap News Agency. Retrieved May 17, 2016.
- ""20 Once Again" Starring Luhan Sets New Record". Soompi. January 18, 2015. Retrieved February 15, 2017.
- "杨幂黄晓明"何以"CP亮相 徐峥鹿晗握手引尖叫". NetEase. April 19, 2015.
- "鹿晗获最受欢迎男演员奖 两种印花风惹眼登台". China Daily. May 12, 2015.
- "鹿晗发微博确认加入"跑男"：很荣幸 请多关照". Tencent. August 28, 2015.
- "Luhan to Act in Chinese Remake of Film "Blind"". Soompi. January 28, 2015. Retrieved February 15, 2017.
- "China Box Office: Local Adventure 'Time Raiders' Romps to $71M". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved February 15, 2017.
- "Andy Lau, Matt Damon, ex-Exo member Lu Han to star in Zhang Yimou's movie The Great Wall". The Straits Times. Retrieved February 15, 2017.
- "《择天记》男主花落鹿晗 搭档娜扎首演感情戏". Tencent. June 7, 2016.
- "《甜蜜暴击》首发官宣 鹿晗搭档关晓彤再演电视剧". iFeng. June 19, 2017.
- "Aliens on the big screen". China Daily. September 21, 2017.
- "'Chinese Justin Bieber' Lu Han has a great fan empire that supports him". The Global Times. February 2, 2017.
- "New TV drama 'Fighter of the Destiny' looks to take advantage of 'the Lu Han effect'". Sina. April 20, 2017.
- "ASIAN STAR LUHAN SETS THE RECORD FOR MOST COMMENTS ON A WEIBO POST". Guinness World Records. Guinness World Records Limited. Retrieved September 7, 2014.
- "Asian singer LuHan increases record for most comments on a Weibo post by 87 million". Guinness World Records. September 25, 2017. Retrieved May 17, 2016.
- "Chinese popstar LuHan sets second world record with antler-wearing fans in Beijing". Guinness World Records. 29 March 2016.
- "Luhan album sales exceeded 10 million, surpassing Jay Chou, netizens: Chinese music is dead!".
- "流量还是流星？ "鹿晗们"去哪儿了？".
- Flannery, Russell. "2015 Forbes China Celebrity List (Full List)". Forbes. Retrieved May 17, 2016.
- "BOF 500: Luhan". Business Of Fashion.
- "鹿晗成全球权威时尚榜单首位华语明星". dwnews.com. October 8, 2016.
- "Mandopop star Luhan – the essentials: highlights from the former EXO member's acting and singing career". South China Morning Post. April 20, 2019.
- "Why China Is Fixated on Singer Lu Han (And Brands Are, Too)". Advertising Age. June 21, 2016.
- "LUHAN BECOMES A JEDI IN CHINA'S STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS PROMO". Star Wars Official Website. December 22, 2015.
- "Meet Lu Han, Official "Ambassador" for 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' in China". The Hollywood Reporter. December 6, 2015.
- "[단독] 엑소 출신 루한, '중국 국민딸' 관효동과 열애 고백". TV Daily (in Korean). October 8, 2017.
- "鹿晗关晓彤正式公开恋情：这是我的女朋友". Sina. October 8, 2017.
- Angelababy, Jackie Chan and Jordan Chan among celebrities supporting the Chinese flag after a protester threw it into the sea. Business Insider Singapore. August 6, 2019.
- Altatis, Conviron. "Ex-EXO Member, '20s Once Again' Star Luhan Is Baidu's Most Valuable Male Star". Yibabda. Retrieved January 1, 2015.
- "Ex-EXO member Luhan thriving as solo artist". Kpop Herald. Retrieved May 17, 2016.
- "鹿晗人气王胜韩庚 粉丝为杨子姗助威". NetEase. December 19, 2014.
- "2014百度沸点人气榜出炉 看看榜单背后的奇葩粉". NetEase. December 30, 2014.
- "2014微博之夜鹿晗封King Baby称Queen". Sina (in Chinese). January 16, 2015. Retrieved January 17, 2015.
- "第十二届广州大学生电影节落幕". NetEase. December 29, 2015.
- "抢先巡演！鹿晗颁奖礼首秀交出各种"第一次"". Tencent. March 23, 2016.
- "全金榜盛典林俊杰邓紫棋分获最佳男女歌手". Sina. April 5, 2016.
- "鹿晗包揽V榜盛典"最佳专辑"及"最佳男歌手"大奖". NetEase. October 19, 2016.
- "GOT7's Jackson, Tao & Luhan win big at the '2016 Tencent Star Awards'". SBS Pop Asia. December 12, 2016.
- "谢娜刘诗诗遭催生 黄轩帮挡驾自曝空窗四年". NetEase. December 4, 2016.
- "Fresh Asia Music Chart Winners". Sina. Retrieved October 8, 2017.
- "iQIYI Scream Night 2019 - AWARD WINNERS | CPOP 音乐 Amino". CPOP 音乐 | aminoapps.com. Retrieved 2018-12-04.