Lower Moreland Township School District
The Lower Moreland Township School District is a public school district in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. The school district serves the Township of Lower Moreland, a Philadelphia suburb of about 11,000 people. There are three schools: Pine Road Elementary School (K-5), Murray Avenue School (6-8), and Lower Moreland High School.
|Lower Moreland Township School District|
2551 Murray Avenue
|School district||Lower Moreland Township School District|
|Oversight||Pennsylvania Department of Education|
|Superintendent||Dr. Scott Davidhesier|
|Student to teacher ratio||12:1|
|Color(s)||Blue and gold|
|Slogan||"Expanding horizons... individualizing excellence"|
|Athletics||PIAA District I AA|
|Accreditation||Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools|
|Newspaper||The Lion's Roar|
|Tuition||2019-2020 school year
Primary: $14,179.03 Secondary: $15,500.36
- Superintendent: Dr. Scott Davidheiser
- Director of Curriculum, Instruction, and Professional Development: Julien Drennan
- Director of Special Education: Frank Giordano
- Business Manager: Mark McGuinn
- Director of Technology: Dr. Jason Hilt
- Director of Human Resources/Public Relations: Cheryl Galdo
Lower Moreland High School
Principal: William Miles; Assistant Principals: Anthony Veneziale, Ernie Rehr; Athletic Director: Matt Heiland.
- School mascot: Lion
- School rival: Various – Springfield Township, Holy Ghost Prep, New Hope-Solebury, Bristol
Lower Moreland High School THON is a non-profit organization where the students of Lower Moreland High School come together to raise money for the four diamonds fund, a fund that sponsors a four diamond family who has a child fighting cancer, so they never have to see a bill in the child's' medical treatment. The LMHS THON is a smaller version of the dance marathon at Penn State. Most of the money comes from students raising it or companies that have donated it. Lower Moreland High School THON started in 2008. THON lasts for 12 hours or more, (since it is consistently changing and improving) where the students constantly are standing and are kept occupied by games and competitions so that the time goes by quickly.
The Lower Moreland Music High School music program has grown and flourished under the direction of Erin Stroup, Dr. Sarah Gulish, and Chelsea Dehner. Different bands, orchestras, and choirs exist at Lower Moreland High School.
- Concert Band: Concert band generally consists of all 9th grade students, and competes separately from the Symphonic Band and Wind Ensemble.
- Symphonic Band: Under the conduction of Erin Stroup, the Symphonic Band consists of all band students in grade 10 through 12.
- Jazz Ensemble: The Lower Moreland Jazz Ensemble is a tryout ensemble at LMHS. In 2011, the LMHS Jazz Ensemble participated in the Disney Honors Festival, where they placed 2nd overall. In 2012, the LMHS Jazz Ensemble participated in the Swing Central Jazz Festival, in Savannah, Georgia, and worked with renowned musicians such as Wycliffe Gordon, Rodney Whitaker, Sean Jones, Herlin Riley, Jeff Clayton, and more. The LMHS Jazz Ensemble has worked with other renowned musicians such as Jeff Coffin, Tom "Bones" Malone, Felix Pastorius, and many more.
Swim & Dive Teams
- 2019 PIAA State Runner-up (Boys), 2019 All-America (Academic- Mark Klinchin), 2019 PIAA District Champions (Boys)
- 2018 NISCA National Dual Meet Runner-up (Boys), 2018 PIAA State Champions (Boys), 2018 All-America (200 Medley Relay - Ben Aust, Chris Kelly, Tommy Lutter, Connor Killion), 2018 All-America (Academic- Connor Killion), 2018 All-America (Academic- Dan Shevelev), 2018 PIAA State Champions (200 Medley Relay - Ben Aust, Chris Kelly, Tommy Lutter, Connor Killion), 2018 PIAA State Champions (400 Free Relay - Chris Kelly, Collin Shipp, Tommy Lutter, Connor Killion), 2018 PIAA District Champions (Boys), 2018 PIAA & NFHS Coach of the Year (Karney McNear)
- 2017 NISCA National Dual Meet 3rd Place (Boys), 2017 All-America (100 Back - Connor Killion), 2017 All-America (Academic- Chirag Ram), 2017 PIAA State Champion (100 Back - Connor Killion), 2017 PIAA District Champions (Boys)
- 2017 NISCA National Scholar Team (Girls)
- 2016 PIAA District Champions (Boys)
- 2015 PIAA District Champions (Boys)
- Alumni Swimming in College: Tommy Lutter ‘19 (University of Delaware), Colin Shipp ‘19 (Bloomsburg University), Mark Klinchin ‘19 (Illinois Tech University), Connor Killion ‘18 (University of Virginia), Chris Kelly ‘18 (West Chester University), Anthony Sleptsov ‘17 (Clarion University), Connor Pietro ‘16 (Widener University)
Murray Avenue School
Principal: Ms. Jennifer Dilks, Assistant Principal: Mr. Michael Bourdreau
The Murray Avenue School houses students in grades 6 through 8.
Pine Road Elementary School
Principal: Dr. Brian Swank, Assistant Principal: Mrs. Sharon Franciosa
The Pine Road School houses students in grades Kindergarten through 5. The fourth and fifth grades were transferred from the crowded Murray Avenue School to the Pine Road School at the end beginning of the 2010–2011 school year after the completion of the construction of a new wing.
- Valerie Plame, CIA operative
- Jill Kelley, Lebanese-American socialite
- Katie Walder is an American actress
- Rod J. Rosenstein, United States Deputy Attorney General
- Harry Elfont, writer and director.
- Robert A. Palmer, Award Winning writer and director (I Am Alone), TV Producer & Podcast Creator
- Dina Gusovsky, journalist and comedy writer
- "PA School District Tuition Rates". PA Department of Education. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "Lower Moreland HS". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved 11 August 2018.
- "Hall of Fame / Hall of Fame's Homepage". www.lmtsd.org. Retrieved 2019-06-19.