Louis of Cyprus
Louis of Savoy (Italian: Ludovico; 1436–37 ; April 1482) was King of Cyprus, reigning together with and in the right of his wife, Charlotte of Cyprus. He was the second son and namesake of Louis, Duke of Savoy, and his wife Anne of Lusignan, daughter of King Janus of Cyprus. He was born in Geneva.
Louis was born, according to Samuel Guichenon, in June 1431, in Geneva, but the historian specifies in note that he was born in 1436. The birth in June 1436 is therefore that adopted by contemporary authors. Guichenon also specifies that the prince is 8 years old when he married in 1444. Some mention a period between 1436-1437 , especially for this last year the Swiss historian Édouard Mallet (1805-1856).
On 14 December 1444, at Stirling Castle, he was betrothed to Annabella, youngest daughter of King James I of Scotland (d. 1437) and sister of King James II of Scotland. The marriage never took place and the betrothal was annulled in 1456.
On 7 October 1458, Louis married Queen Charlotte of Cyprus, his cousin, and became King of Cyprus as well as the titular King of Jerusalem and of the Armenian Kingdom of Cilicia for the brief period of her reign from 1458 to 1460, when they were deposed.
|Ancestors of Louis of Cyprus|
- Samuel Guichenon, Histoire généalogique de la royale maison de Savoie, justifiée par titres, fondations de monastères, manuscrits, anciens monuments, histoires et autres preuves authentiques. Livres 1-2 / ; enrichie de plusieurs portraits, sceaux, monnaies, sculptures et armoiries, G. Barbier, Lyon, 1660, p.536-546 on line.
- Douglas Richardson, Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families, ed. Kimball G. Everingham, vol. I, Salt Lake City, 2011 (on line)
- (it) Giuseppe Gullino, Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani Volume 66 (2006) - [Treccani], « Ludovico, di Savoia, re di Cipro » on line.
- Charles Cawley, "Medieval Lands", 2006-2013, page « Savoy »
- Candida Syndikus, Sabine Rogge, Caterina Cornaro Last Queen of Cyprus and Daughter of Venice Ultima regina di Cipro e figlia di Venezia, Waxmann Verlag, 2013, page 403.
- Édouard Mallet, Documents genevois inédits pour la généalogie de la maison souveraine de Savoie, depuis le XIIe jusqu'au XVe siècle, Impr. Royale, 1836, p. 31 (on line).
- Eva Pibiri, « A la recherche d'une épouse. Ambassades et voyages autour des fiançailles d'Annabelle d'Ecosse et de Louis de Savoie, comte de Genève (1444-1445) », Cahiers lausannois d'histoire médiévale, vol. L'itinérance des seigneurs (XIVe-XVIe s.), no 34, 2003, p. 123-171 (on line)
- Farid Mirbagheri, Historical Dictionary of Cyprus, Scarecrow Press, 1 oct. 2009, page 185.
- Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1841). The penny cyclopædia [ed. by G. Long]. p. 440.
- Bernard Andenmatten, Laurent Ripart, « Ultimes itinérances. Les sépultures des ducs de la Maison de Savoie entre Moyen Age et Renaissance», dans A. Paravicini Bagliani et alii (dir.), L’itinérance des seigneurs (XIVe-XVIe siècle), Lausanne, 2003 (Cahiers lausannois d’histoire médiévale, 34), p. 193-247, ″ Louis, fils de Louis Ier, roi de Chypre
as sole ruler
| King of Cyprus
with Charlotte of Cyprus