Louis I, Count of Montpensier
Louis de Bourbon (1405 – May 1486) was the third son of John I, Duke of Bourbon and Marie, Duchess of Auvergne. He was Count of Montpensier, Clermont-en-Auvergne and Sancerre and Dauphin of Auvergne and was a younger brother of Charles I of Bourbon. He founded the Bourbon-Montpensier branch of the House of Bourbon, who would eventually take over the Duchy in 1505.
|Louis I, Count of Montpensier|
Coats of Arms of Louis I, Count of Montpensier
|Spouse(s)||Jeanne, Dauphine d'Auvergne|
|Father||John I, Duke of Bourbon|
|Mother||Marie, Duchess of Auvergne|
In 1428, he married Jeanne, Dauphine d'Auvergne, daughter and heiress of Beraud III, Dauphin d'Auvergne and Count of Clermont-en-Auvergne. After her death in 1436, he retained those titles (his paternal grandmother having been Anne of Auvergne, daughter of Dauphin Beraud II), and on 5 February 1442, married Gabrielle of La Tour (d. 1486), daughter of Bertrand V of La Tour, count of Auvergne and Boulogne. The couple had four children:
- Gilbert, Count of Montpensier (1443–1496)
- John (1445–1485)
- Gabrielle (1447–1516), Countess of Benon, married in 1485 Louis de la Tremoille (d. 1525), Prince of Talmond
- Charlotte (1449–1478), married in 1468 Wolfert van Borselen (d. 1487), Count of Grandpré and Earl of Buchan
He was succeeded by his son Gilbert.
- Ward, Prothero & Leathes 1911, p. table 25.
- Ward, A.W.; Prothero, G.W.; Leathes, Stanley, eds. (1911). The Cambridge Modern History. Vol. XIII. Cambridge at the University Press.
Louis I, Count of MontpensierBorn: 1405 Died: May 1486
| Count of Montpensier
| Dauphin d'Auvergne|
Count of Clermont-en-Auvergne
With: Jeanne 1428–1436