Losing Control is a 2011 romantic comedy film directed by Valerie Weiss about a female scientist who wants proof that her boyfriend is "the one." Losing Control was released theatrically on March 23, 2012 in New York City and will expand to more cities on March 30, 2012. The film won Best Director at the 2011 Feel Good Film Festival, Connie Clair Spirit Award for Top Female Filmmaker of 2011 at The Chicago Comedy Film Festival and First Honorable Mention for the Christopher Wetzel Independent Film Comedy Award.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Valerie Weiss|
|Written by||Valerie Weiss|
- Miranda Kent as Samantha
- Reid Scott as Ben
- Kathleen Robertson as Leslie
- Theo Alexander as Maurizio
- Steve Howey as Terry
- John Billingsley as Prof. Straub
- Sumalee Montano as Breanna Lee
- Bitsie Tulloch as Trudy
- Alanna Ubach as Alora
- Neil Hopkins as Scott Foote
- Lin Shaye as Dolores
- Ben Weber as Dr. Rudy Mann
- Jamison Yang as Chen Wa
- Barry Gordon as Frank
- Elise Jackson as Vivienne
- Sam Ball as Tantric Sam
- True Bella Pinci as Little Samantha
The film received mixed reviews. On the website metacritic, which assigns normalized scores to reviews, the film received a 33 out of 100, indicating "generally unfavorable" reviews.
From Calum Marsh, in Slant Magazine:
From John Anderson, in Variety:
|“||You can't lose what you never had, and while "Losing Control" is a thoroughly likable, playful comedy, there's never a sense that writer-director Valerie Weiss is in total command of film's tone, pacing or comic content, which is considerable.||”|
From Steven Rea in the Philadelphia Inquirer:
|“||Losing Control nicely mixes comedic absurdity with weightier career vs. commitment themes.||”|
- Walford, Justina (August 23, 2011). "The 2011 Feel Good Film Festival Announces Award Winners" (PDF) (Press release). Feel Good Film Festival. Archived (PDF) from the original on March 15, 2012. Retrieved March 25, 2012.
- Best Director Award Presented to Valerie Weiss for film Losing Control from Feel Good Film Festival Archived 2015-10-18 at the Wayback Machine, House Lights Media Partners, Sept, 6, 2011
- "Losing Control". www.siskelfilmcenter.org. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- "Losing Control". metacritic.com. Archived from the original on 15 March 2016. Retrieved 6 April 2018.
- "Losing Control - Film Review - Slant Magazine". slantmagazine.com. Archived from the original on 25 April 2014. Retrieved 6 April 2018.
- "Losing Control". Variety. Archived from the original on 2012-06-03. Retrieved 2012-07-27.
- "'Losing Control': Career v. commitment, wrapped in comic absurdity - Philly". philly.com. Archived from the original on 29 November 2017. Retrieved 6 April 2018.