|Moderator of the General Assembly|
|Church||Church of Scotland|
|Elected||18 May 2013|
|In office||2013 to 2014|
|Other posts||Minister of North Parish Church, Renfrew (1979–2016)|
|Birth name||Elizabeth Lorna Hood|
|Born||21 April 1953|
Peter (m. 1979)
|Alma mater||University of Glasgow|
Early life and education
Hood was born in Irvine, Ayrshire on 21 April 1953. She was educated at Kilmarnock Academy. She studied at the University of Glasgow, graduating with an undergraduate Master of Arts (MA (Hons)) degree in 1974 and a Bachelor of Divinity (BD) degree in 1977.
She was ordained by the Church of Scotland's Presbytery of Edinburgh in 1978 whilst serving as Assistant Minister at St Ninian's Church in Corstorphine, Edinburgh. She was inducted to her charge of the North Parish Church in Renfrew in June 1979. In 2008 she was appointed to be one of ten Chaplains to The Queen in Scotland.
On 30 October 2012, Hood was nominated to be Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland for 2013/2014; she was duly formally elected as Moderator on 18 May 2013 – the first day of the General Assembly's week-long annual session.
Hood was to have been succeeded as Moderator by Angus Morrison. On 18 March 2014 the Church of Scotland announced that Morrison had withdrawn his nomination on grounds of ill health. On 2 April it was announced that she was to be succeeded by John Chalmers, the Principal Clerk to the General Assembly.
In December 2014 she was awarded an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Divinity by the University of Glasgow.
In the 2017 Birthday Honours, Hood was appointed an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) "for services to the Church of Scotland and charity".
- 'HOOD, Very Rev. (Elizabeth) Lorna', Who's Who 2017, A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc, 2017; online edn, Oxford University Press, 2016; online edn, Nov 2016 accessed 9 Aug 2017
- "Very Rev Dr Lorna Hood retires from ministry after 37 years at Renfrew North". Church of Scotland. 4 October 2016. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- Fasti Ecclesiæ Scoticanæ, Volume XI (page 125), T&T Clark Ltd, Edinburgh, 2000, ISBN 0-567-08750-6
- "Paisley News - Latest news updates, pictures, video, reaction - Daily Record". Paisleydailyexpress.co.uk. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- Scotland, The Church of. "Moderator-Designate withdraws due to ill health". Churchofscotland.org.uk. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- "Woman's Hour - The Power List 2013 - BBC Radio 4". BBC. Retrieved 21 August 2017.
- "Mundell congratulates Scots recognised in Queen's Birthday Honours". GOV.UK. Scotland Office. 16 June 2017. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- "No. 61962". The London Gazette (Supplement). 16 June 2017. p. B12.
- BBC News, 30 October 2012
- STV News, 30 October 2012
- News report in The Herald (Glasgow), 31 October 2012
- News report in the Paisley Daily Express, 7 November 2012
| Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland