Longwood Medical and Academic Area
The Longwood Medical and Academic Area (also known as Longwood Medical Area, LMA, or simply Longwood) is a medical campus in Boston, Massachusetts. Flanking Longwood Avenue, as it runs from Huntington Avenue to west of The Riverway, LMA is adjacent to the Fenway–Kenmore, Audubon Circle, and Mission Hill neighborhoods, and the town of Brookline.
It is most strongly associated with the Harvard Medical School, the Harvard School of Public Health, the Harvard School of Dental Medicine and other medical facilities such as Harvard's teaching hospitals, but prominent non-Harvard institutions are located there as well, such as Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, museums, liberal arts colleges, and research centers.
The Harvard Medical Schools central Quadrangle was designed by Shepley, Rutan and Coolidge.
Hospitals and research institutions
Schools and colleges
- Boston Latin School
- Emmanuel College
- Harvard Medical School (whose Warren Anatomical Museum houses the skull of and tamping iron which injured Phineas Gage, inside the Countway Medical Library)
- Harvard School of Dental Medicine
- Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- Massachusetts College of Art and Design or MassArt
- Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences or MCPHS University
- Simmons University
- Wentworth Institute of Technology
- Boston University Wheelock School of Education and Human Development
- The Winsor School
LMA is served by two rail stations at opposite ends of Longwood Avenue: "Longwood" (on the MBTA Green Line's "D" branch) and "Longwood Medical Area" (on the "E" branch). Several public bus routes serve the area and commuter rail service is available at nearby Ruggles Station. MASCO offers shuttle buses (generally for affiliated personnel only) around the Longwood Medical Area and between Harvard's Cambridge Campus and the Medical Campus (M2). The M2 shuttle is free for passengers holding a Harvard ID, and tickets can be purchased at multiple locations.
- "Longwood Medical and Academic Area (LMA) Fact Sheet" (PDF). MASCO Area Planning and Development. December 2012. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- Veolia (18 November 2014). "Medical Area Total Energy Plant (MATEP)". Veolia North America. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
- "Harvard's Unknown Medical Power Plant - News - The Harvard Crimson". www.thecrimson.com. Retrieved 19 April 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Longwood Medical Area.|