|Historic Environment Scotland|
Longmore House, the head office of Historic Environment Scotland.
Shown in Edinburgh
|Location||Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom|
|Care system||Public NHS|
|Lists||Hospitals in Scotland|
The hospital has its origins in a facility commissioned by the newly-formed Edinburgh Association for Incurables which opened in Salisbury Place in 1875. The trustees decided to rebuild the facility, financed by a bequest from John Longmore and using a neoclassical design by John More Dick Peddie: the new building was completed in December 1880. A new East Wing was opened by the Duke of York and Princess Mary in 1891 and the West Wing was completed in 1899.
In 1903 the Edinburgh Association for Incurables received a royal charter and, after the Liberton Hospital opened in 1906, the two hospitals together became known as the Royal Edinburgh Hospital for Incurables. The hospital joined the National Health Service in 1948.
After services transferred to the Western General Hospital, the hospital closed in 1991. The building was converted to offices for Historic Scotland in 1994 and, since 2015, has been occupied by its successor organisation, Historic Environment Scotland.
- "Salisbury Place, Longmore House, former Longmore Hospital, including mortuary, chapel, boundary walls, gatepiers and railing". Historic Environment Scotland. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- "Hospitals for Incurables: the former Longmore Hospital, Edinburgh". Historic Hospitals. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- "Royal Edinburgh Hospital for Incurables". Lothian Health Services Archive. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- "Royal Edinburgh Hospital for Incurables, Edinburgh". National Archives. Retrieved 1 January 2019.