City centre of Lochem
Coat of arms
Location in Gelderland
|Coordinates: 52°10′N 6°25′E|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Sebastiaan van ’t Erve (GL)|
|• Total||215.94 km2 (83.37 sq mi)|
|• Land||213.20 km2 (82.32 sq mi)|
|• Water||2.74 km2 (1.06 sq mi)|
|Elevation||14 m (46 ft)|
|• Density||158/km2 (410/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code||0573, 0575|
The city of Lochem is the municipality's main population centre. The hamlet of Barchem and Laren were already comprised in the municipality of Lochem before 2005. Formerly in the municipality of Gorssel, Almen, Eefde (immediately north of Zutphen), Epse and Gorssel itself became part of the municipality of Lochem, as well as the hamlet of Harfsen.
City of Lochem
Lochem, 18 km (11 mi) east of Zutphen, received city rights in 1233. Until the 17th century, it was often besieged and burnt down. After 1700, it became a small market town for the farmers in its surroundings.
The village of Laren has a castle called Huis Verwolde. In summer, guided tours of this castle are organised for tourists. On its estate there is a tree, said to be the thickest tree in the Netherlands ( "de dikke boom van Verwolde").
- Johan van Dorth (1574 in Salvador – 1624), schout of Lochem and nobleman and general of the Dutch Republic
- Robert Jasper van der Capellen (1743 in Eefde – 1814) a scion from the noble regenten family Van der Capellen from Guelders
- Carel de Villeneuve (1897 in Lochem – 1974) a lawyer and director of business associations in colonial Indonesia during the 1920s–1940s
- Hans Jorritsma (born 1949 in Lochem) a retired field hockey player, competed at the 1976 Summer Olympics
- Irma Boom (born 1960 in Lochem) a Dutch graphic designer—who specializes in book making
- "Burgemeester van 't Erve" [Mayor van 't Erve] (in Dutch). Gemeente Lochem. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 7241AA". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Archived from the original on 21 September 2013. Retrieved 17 June 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- "Stad Lochem", Mijn Gelderland. Retrieved on 14 April 2017.