Live at Maybeck Recital Hall, Volume Seven
Live at Maybeck Recital Hall, Volume Seven is an album of solo performances by jazz pianist John Hicks, recorded in 1990.The album was the seventh of 42 piano recitals recorded at the hall and released on Concord.
|Live at Maybeck Recital Hall, Volume Seven|
|Live album by|
|Venue||Maybeck Recital Hall, Berkeley, California, U.S.|
|John Hicks chronology|
Music and recording
The album was recorded in August 1990 at the Maybeck Recital Hall in Berkeley, California. Hicks reported that, for the performance, "I wanted to do some more standard compositions. Playing solo gives me a chance to extend my repertoire and play some songs I don't normally play in a group setting", and "I arrived with a list of songs I wanted to do. But once I started, I picked songs based on the feeling I got from the audience."
Release and reception
It was released by Concord Records. The AllMusic reviewer concluded that, "Though not a consistently inspired concert, there are several stretches of truly breathtaking piano playing here, beautifully recorded as usual." The Chicago Tribune commented that "There is a density to John Hicks' solo piano that is rarely apparent in his performances behind others. At times it seems as muscular and lush as McCoy Tyner."
- "Blue in Green" (Miles Davis) – 5:45
- "All of You" (Cole Porter) – 4:58
- "After the Rain" (John Coltrane) – 5:36
- "Speak Low" (Kurt Weill, Ogden Nash) – 4:58
- "Blues for Maybeck Recital Hall" (John Hicks) – 4:34
- "Heroes" (Billy Childs) – 5:37
- "Rhythm-a-Ning" (Thelonious Monk) – 3:37
- "Duke Ellington's Sound of Love" (Charles Mingus) – 7:58
- "Oblivion" (Bud Powell) – 3:35
- "Contemplation" (Wayne Shorter) – 5:30
- "Straighten Up and Fly Right" (Nat King Cole, Irving Mills) – 3:41
- John Hicks – piano
- John Hicks Catalog, accessed December 6, 2017
- Cerra, S. Jazz Profiles – Maybeck Recital Hall: Treasure Hunt – Part 1 accessed December 6, 2017
- Asher, Don (July 24, 2013) "Solo Jazz Piano at Maybeck Recital Hall: A Treasure Hunt Remembered". Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Ginell, Richard S. "John Hicks – Live at Maybeck Recital Hall, Vol. 7". AllMusic. Retrieved July 11, 2017.
- Fuller, Jack (March 3, 1991) "Live at Maybeck Recital Hall, Volume Seven". Chicago Tribune.