Live Now, Pay Later
|Live Now, Pay Later|
British theatrical poster
|Directed by||Jay Lewis|
|Produced by||Jack Hanbury|
|Written by||Jack Trevor Story|
|Based on||novel All on the Never Never by Jack Lindsay|
|Music by||Ron Grainer|
|Edited by||Roger Cherrill|
|Distributed by||Regal Films International (UK)|
Unsavoury door-to-door salesman Albert Argyle's (Ian Hendry) technique involves bedding his female customers in an attempt to seduce them to buy on credit. As well as being unfaithful to his pregnant girlfriend (June Ritchie), the unrepentant Albert is also cheating his boss (John Gregson) out of profits, and also trying his hand at a spot of blackmail.
- Ian Hendry as Albert Argyle
- June Ritchie as Treasure
- John Gregson as Callendar
- Liz Fraser as Joyce Corby
- Geoffrey Keen as Reggie Corby
- Jeanette Sterke as Grace
- Peter Butterworth as Fred
- Nyree Dawn Porter as Marjorie Mason
- Ronald Howard as Cedric Mason
- Harold Berens as Solly Cowell
- Thelma Ruby as Hetty
- Monte Landis as Arnold (as Monty Landis)
- Kevin Brennan as Jackson
- Malcolm Knight as Ratty
- Bridget Armstrong as Gloria
- Judith Furse as Mrs. Ackroyd (as Judith Furze)
- Joan Heal as Mrs. Pocock
- Michael Brennan as Bailiff
- Geoffrey Hibbert as Price
- William Kendall as Major Simpkins
- Georgina Cookson as Lucy
- Justine Lord as Coral Wentworth
- Andrew Cruickshank as Vicar
- John Wood as Curate
- Peter Bowles as Reginald Parker
- Diana King as Woman Looking Round Flat
- Robert Raglan
In a contemporary review, Variety considered it to have "many amusing moments, but overall it is untidy and does not develop the personalities of some of the main characters sufficiently"; whereas more recently, the Radio Times gave the film four out of five stars, noting "...a remarkably cynical and revealing portrait of Britain shifting from postwar austerity into rampant consumerism and the Swinging Sixties."
- Gifford, Denis (1 April 2016). "British Film Catalogue: Two Volume Set - The Fiction Film/The Non-Fiction Film". Routledge – via Google Books.
- "Live Now, Pay Later (1962)".
- "Live Now - Pay Later (1962) - Original Print Info - TCM.com". Turner Classic Movies.
- "Live Now Pay Later (1962) - Complete Film". ianhendry.com.
- Staff, Variety (1 January 1962). "Live Now Pay Later".
- "British 60s cinema - Live Now, Pay Later (redone Jan 2017)". www.british60scinema.net.