List of university professors at Columbia University
At Columbia University, the title of University Professor is the highest faculty rank reserved for a small number of its faculty who have made important contributions to their field of study. Created in 1964, University Professors serve the university as a whole rather than a specific Faculty or Department.
- Richard Axel, molecular biology and neuroscience, 1999
- Jagdish Bhagwati, economics and law, 2001
- Martin Chalfie, biology, 2013
- Ruth DeFries, sustainable development, 2016
- Michael W. Doyle, international affairs, law, and political science, 2015
- Nabila El-Bassel, social work, and public health, 2019
- Wafaa El-Sadr, public health, 2013
- R. Kent Greenawalt, jurisprudence and constitutional law, 1991
- Wayne Hendrickson, biochemistry and molecular biophysics
- Eric R. Kandel, neurobiology, behavior and learning, 1983
- Rosalind E. Krauss, art history, 2005
- Jeffrey Sachs, economics, 2016
- Simon Schama, history and art history
- Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak, English and comparative literature, 2007
- Joseph Stiglitz, economics, 2001
- Gordana Vunjak-Novakovic, biomedical engineering, 2017
University Professors Emeriti
Former University Professors
- Jacques Barzun, cultural history
- Ronald Breslow, organic chemistry, 1992
- Samuel Eilenberg, mathematics, 1974
- Louis Henkin, international law, 1981
- Donald Keene, Japanese Studies, 1988
- Grayson L. Kirk, University President, 1953-68
- Robert K. Merton, sociology, 1974
- Ernest Nagel, philosophy
- Isidor Isaac Rabi, physics, 1964
- Michael Riffaterre, semiotics, theory of literature and French literature, 1982
- Edward Said, comparative literature, literary theory, and cultural studies, 1992
- Meyer Schapiro, art history
- Sol Spiegelman, genetics and microbiology
- Fritz Stern, history, 1992
- Lionel Trilling, literature, 1970
- Jeremy Waldron, law, 2005, left Columbia in 2006
- "Martin Chalfie and Wafaa El-Sadr Appointed University Professors". Columbia Press Room. 2013. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- ."Nabila El-Bassel Named University Professor". Office of the President. 2019-04-09. Retrieved 2019-04-09.
- "Gayatri Chakravorty Spivak Named University Professor". Columbia Press Room. 2007-03-12. Retrieved 2015-03-09.
- "Trustees Name President Lee C. Bollinger As Seth Low Professor of the University". Columbia Press Room. 2004. Retrieved 2015-03-09.