List of twin towns and sister cities in Switzerland
This is a list of places in Switzerland having standing links to local communities in other countries. In many cases, these completely ceremonial associations, especially when formalized by the local governments, are called by the fallacious name of "town twinning" – though other terms, such as "sister city" and "partner town" are far more accurate. While most of the places included in this list are cities or towns, the list also contains villages, districts, counties, cantons, provinces, etc. with similar links.
The list includes twin towns and sister cities (Partnergemeinden, Partnerstädte, villes ou communes jumelles) of towns in Switzerland linked by a sister-city agreement (Städtepartnerschaft or Gemeindepartnerschaft; jumelage de villes) or friendship agreements (Freundschaft or amitié).
A few Swiss municipalities participating in projects arranged by the Swiss organizations Patenschaft für Berggemeinden (Parrainage suisse pour communes de montagne) are included. The program arranges sponsorships of municipalities in the Swiss Alps by other Swiss municipalities. The twinning may be a private initiative (e.g. between Zürich and San Francisco) or an initiative of the cities' authorities.
Partial source (only Vaud):
List of towns and cities
Shimada, Shizuoka (Japan)
Geneva does intentionally not have any particular "sister" tie with any city in the world. It declares itself related to the entire world.
- "Association Suisse des Communes et Régions d'Europe, Canton de Vaud". L'Association suisse pour le Conseil des Communes et Régions d'Europe (ASCCRE), Canton de Vaud (in French). Archived from the original on 24 July 2012. Retrieved 2013-07-20.
- Basel: Diverse range of attractive opportunities (China Daily) Archived 25 September 2015 at the Wayback Machine
- "Local Government International Exchange:". List of Affiliation Partners within Prefectures: Sister city information Database. Tokyo, Japan: Council of Local Authorities for International Relations (CLAIR). Archived from the original on 13 January 2016. Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- "Service des relations extérieures" (in French). Service des relations extérieures SRE, la Ville de Genève. 23 October 2014. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
Ville internationale et multiculturelle, Genève noue depuis plusieurs siècles des contacts privilégiés avec le monde entier.
- "Genève, partenaire du rapprochement entre villes" (in French). Service des relations extérieures SRE, Genève ville internationales. 17 November 2011. Archived from the original on 8 February 2015. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
La Ville de Genève entretient des relations multilatérales et bilatérales avec de nombreuses villes dans le monde.
- Town Twinnings and international relations (from the official city website. Accessed 11 August 2008.)
- 全国各省、自治区、直辖市建立友好城市统计-云南 [Friendly city statics – Yunnan]. www.cifca.org.cn (in Chinese). 中国国际友好城市联合会. Retrieved 30 August 2018.
- "Integration & International Networks". City of Zürich. Archived from the original on 5 April 2015. Retrieved 14 May 2019.
- Association Suisse pour le Conseil des Communes et Régions d'Europe (in French) (in German)
- Patenschaft für Berggemeinden (in German)