List of towns in British Columbia
A town is a classification of municipalities used in the Canadian province of British Columbia. British Columbia's Lieutenant Governor in Council may incorporate a community as a town by letters patent, under the recommendation of the Minister of Communities, Sport and Cultural Development, if its population is greater than 2,500 but not greater than 5,000 and the outcome of a vote involving affected residents was that greater than 50% voted in favour of the proposed incorporation.
British Columbia has 14 towns that had a cumulative population of 87,514 and an average population of 6,251 in the 2011 Census. British Columbia's largest and smallest towns are Comox and Port McNeill with populations of 13,627 and 2,505 respectively.
"Town" as a British Columbia municipal designation should not be confused with "township," which has no legal definition in the province. The three municipalities in British Columbia which refer to themselves as townships - Esquimalt, Langley, and Spallumcheen - are incorporated as district municipalities.
Fort Nelson, originally incorporated as a village on April 8, 1971, became a town on October 31, 1987 and then amalgamated with the Northern Rockies Regional District on February 6, 2009 to form the Northern Rockies Regional Municipality.
Town status eligibility
City status eligibility
At the 2011 Census, seven of the above towns – Comox, Creston, Ladysmith, Qualicum Beach, Sidney, Smithers and View Royal – met the requirement of having populations greater than 5,000 to incorporate as a city.
- "Local Government Act: Part 2 — Incorporation of Municipalities". Government of British Columbia Queen's Printer. November 12, 2012. Retrieved December 8, 2012.
- "British Columbia Regional Districts, Municipalities, Corporate Name, Date of Incorporation and Postal Address" (XLS). British Columbia Ministry of Communities, Sport and Cultural Development. Archived from the original on July 13, 2014. Retrieved December 8, 2012.
- "Population and dwelling counts, for Canada, provinces and territories, and census subdivisions (municipalities), 2011 and 2006 censuses (British Columbia)". Statistics Canada. May 28, 2012. Retrieved December 8, 2012.
- "Name Details: Fort Nelson". GeoBC. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- "Fort Nelson". Northern Rockies Regional Municipality. Archived from the original on August 14, 2012. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- "Statistics Relating to Regional and Municipal Governments in BC 2011" (PDF). Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development. p. 21 of 30. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- "Name Details: Kinnaird". GeoBC. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- "Name Details: Mission City". GeoBC. Retrieved December 9, 2012.