List of symbols
This is a list of graphical signs, icons, and symbols.
- Language code
- List of Unicode characters
- List of writing systems
- Category:Typographical symbols
The remainder of this list focuses on graphemes not part of spoken language-encoding systems.
Scientific and engineering symbols
- Various currency signs (sublist)
- Traffic signs, including warning signs contain many specialized symbols (see article for list)
- DOT pictograms
- ISO 7001
- Exit sign, a.k.a. "running man"
- Pictorial push pull signs for doors "push & pull man"
- Gender symbols for public toilets
- Japanese map symbols
- International Breastfeeding Symbol
- International Symbol of Access
- Barber's pole
- EC identification and health marks, for animal products
- Food safe symbol marking food contact materials in the European Union
- British Egg Industry Council lion
General consumer products
- Recycling symbol
- Laundry symbol
- Period-after-opening symbol (on cosmetics as 6M, 12M, 18M, etc.)
- U+2602 ☂ UMBRELLA - keep dry
- U+2614 ☔ UMBRELLA WITH RAIN DROPS - keep dry
- Japanese postal mark
- ℮, the European estimated sign
- Inventory tracking symbols
- Printing registration marks intended for the manufacturer of the packaging, to ensure different colors are aligned when printed
- Various certification marks (see article for list) signifying conformance with a government or private organization's requirements
- Shipping symbols from ISO standard 780 "Pictorial marking for handling of goods" or ASTM D5445 "Standard Practice for Pictorial Markings for Handling of Goods" which depict shipping boxes as squares with rounded corners:
- "Fragile": the silhouette of a wine glass
- "This end up": a horizontal line with two arrows pointing up
- "Do not stack": a filled-in box, under a crossed-out outlined box
- "Maximum stack height": three boxes stacked vertically; the bottom one is filled in, the middle one is an outline with a number inside (the number of boxes to safely stack on top of this one), and the top one is an outline and crossed out
- "Maximum stack weight": from the bottom upward: a box, a horizontal line, a wide arrow pointing down, and a number followed by "kg max"
- "Keep dry": an umbrella with rain falling on it
- "Protect from sunlight": a circle with rays coming out of it, with a box protected by a chevron
- "Protect from radiation": the radiation symbol, separated from a box by a chevron
- "Center of gravity": crosshairs pointing to the center of a dashed circle
- "Do not roll": a box with a curved arrow above, and a cross-out line coming up from the box at an angle
- "Do not use hand hooks"
- "Do not use hand truck"
- "Do not use forklift"
- "Clamp as indicated": a filled-in box with a vertical line and inward-pointing arrow on the right and left
- "Do not clamp": the same as "clamp as indicated", crossed out
- "Sling here": the silhouette of a chain
- A thermometer with a diagonal slash, indicating the maximum and minimum temperature
Religious and mystical symbols
A subset has been used as United States Department of Veterans Affairs emblems for headstones and markers.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Symbols.|
- Turner, Julia (2010-03-08). "The Big Red Word vs. the Little Green Man". Slate. ISSN 1091-2339. Retrieved 2019-10-19.
- "Appendix 1. Packaging marks - Transport - CTU Code - UNECE Wiki". Unece.org. 2014-08-25. Retrieved 2016-01-20.
- "ISO 780:1997(en) Packaging — Pictorial marking for handling of goods". Iso.org. Retrieved 2016-01-20.
- "ASTM D5445 - 15 Standard Practice for Pictorial Markings for Handling of Goods". Astm.org. Retrieved 2016-01-20.