List of roll-on/roll-off vessel accidents
This is a list of roll-on/roll-off vessels which took on water and capsized or sank due to problems with the loading doors or vehicle decks, or other causes not associated with their construction as roll-on/roll-off ferries.
- MV Princess Victoria in 1953 killing 133 people
- SS Heraklion in 1966 killing over 200 people
- TEV Wahine in 1968 killing 52 people
- MV A Regina ran aground and wrecked in 1985. No casualties or serious injury
- MS Herald of Free Enterprise in 1987 killing 193 people
- MV Reijin in 1988 capsized and sank off the coast of Portugal
- MS Jan Heweliusz in 1993 killing 55 people
- MS Estonia in 1994 killing 852 people
- MS Express Samina in 2000 killing 82 people
- MV Tricolor in 2002 collided, no casualties, vessel required salvation by wreck cutting in 9 sections
- MV Diamond Ray in 2004 collided with a container vessel, requiring salvage tugs, no casualties
- MV Hyundai No 105 in June 2004 collided with a tanker and sank close to Singapore Sentosa island, no casualties but crew required rescue
- MS al-Salam Boccaccio 98 in 2006 killing 1,020 people
- MV Queen of the North in 2006 killing 2 people
- MV Cougar Ace in 2006 killing 1 person
- MV Repubblica di Genova in 2007 capsized, no casualties
- MV Baltic Ace in 2012 killing 11 people
- MV Jolly Nero in 2013 during unberthing collided with the Pilots' office tower, killing 9 people
- MV Sewol in 2014 killing 304 people
- SS El Faro in 2015, which happened during a hurricane, killing 33 people
- MV Hoegh Osaka in 2015 ran aground in the English Channel, no casualties, rescue by towage necessary
- MV Modern Express in 2016 severely listed in the Bay of Biscay, crew evacuated, no casualties, vessel required salvation by towage
- MV Grande America in 2019 caught fire and sank in the Bay of Biscay, no casualties
- MV Golden Ray capsized on 9 September 2019 in St. Simons Sound, no casualties
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Golden Ray (ship, 2017).|
- Gordon, D (22 January 2003). "Princess Victoria". Irish Sea Shipping: The Online Shipping Magazine. Retrieved 12 January 2010.
- "Sinking of the SS Heraklion". Retrieved 18 February 2015.
- "High Tech Cowboys of the Deep Seas: The Race to Save the Cougar Ace". Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- "Italy cargo ship crash: Nine people feared dead after collision with Genoa port control tower". The Independent. Retrieved 2019-01-18.
- "After 6 days, Coast Guard ends search for survivors of El Faro sinking". 7 October 2015. Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- "Ro/Ro Modern Express Successfully Taken in Tow". Retrieved 26 March 2018.
- "Fire-Stricken Grande America Sinks off France". Worldmaritimenews.com. Retrieved 14 March 2019.
- Alonso, Melissa; Andone, Dakin (9 September 2019). "Four crew members are missing after a cargo ship capsized off the Georgia coast". CNN. Cable News Network. Retrieved 10 September 2019.