List of regions of the Northwest Territories
The regions of the Northwest Territories can refer to either the six census divisions defined by Statistics Canada, or the five administrative regions defined by the government of the Northwest Territories.
Census divisions with main populated places
Administrative regions with their regional seats
- Inuvik Region - Inuvik
- Sahtu Region - Norman Wells
- Dehcho Region - Fort Simpson
- North Slave Region - Behchokǫ̀ and Yellowknife
- South Slave Region - Fort Smith and Hay River
Former census divisions
Prior to the 2011 census, there were two census divisions. Note: the former census division of Inuvik was considerably larger than the administrative region of the same name.
Prior to the division of the NWT and the creation of Nunavut in 1999, there were five census divisions. Their boundaries were altered somewhat as part of the adjustment.
- Baffin Region, Northwest Territories
- Fort Smith Region, Northwest Territories
- Inuvik Region, Northwest Territories
- Keewatin Region, Northwest Territories
- Kitikmeot Region, Northwest Territories
These regions are not to be confused with the former districts of the Northwest Territories.