List of longest caves
This List of longest caves includes caves in which the combined length of documented passageways exceeds 200 km. In some of these caves, passageways are still being discovered.
Caves are found around the world. The largest form in areas of karst landforms whose rocks erode easily. Preferable conditions for cave formation are adequate precipitation, enough plants and animals to produce ample carbon dioxide, and a landscape of gentle hills which drains slowly. The highest concentrations of long caves in the world are found in the Pennyroyal of southern Kentucky, United States, in the Black Hills of South Dakota, United States, and in the Yucatán Peninsula, Mexico.
|Mammoth Cave||667.8 km (415.0 mi)||near Brownsville, Kentucky, United States||1791||Mammoth Cave National Park, also a World Heritage Site and International Biosphere Reserve|
|Sistema Sac Actun / Sistema Dos Ojos||371.9 km (231.1 mi)||near Tulum, Quintana Roo, Mexico||1987||none|
|Jewel Cave||334.8 km (208.0 mi)||near Custer, South Dakota, United States||1900||Jewel Cave National Monument|
|Sistema Ox Bel Ha||271.0 km (168.4 mi)||near Tulum, Quintana Roo, Mexico||1996||southern parts in Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve|
|Shuanghedong Cave Network||257.4 km (159.9 mi)||Guizhou, China||1988||Suiyang Shuanghedong National Geopark|
|Optymistychna Cave||257.0 km (159.7 mi)||near Korolivka, Ukraine||1966||Dnistrovskyy Canion|
|Wind Cave||245.1 km (152.3 mi)||near Hot Springs, South Dakota, United States||1881||Wind Cave National Park|
|Lechuguilla Cave||241.4 km (150.0 mi)||near Carlsbad, New Mexico, United States||1900||Carlsbad Caverns National Park|
|Clearwater Cave System||227.0 km (141.1 mi)||near Miri, Sarawak, Malaysia||1978||Gunung Mulu National Park, also a World Heritage Site|
|Fisher Ridge Cave System||209.2 km (130.0 mi)||near Brownsville, Kentucky, United States||1981||partly within Mammoth Cave National Park|
|Hölloch||201.9 km (125.5 mi)||Muotathal, Switzerland||1875||none|
- Gulden, Bob (2019-10-01). "Worlds longest caves". Geo2 Committee on Long and Deep Caves. National Speleological Society (NSS). Retrieved 2019-10-01.
- "List of Long Underwater Caves in Quintana Roo Mexico". Quintana Roo Speleological Survey. National Speleological Society. 2018-07-30. Retrieved 2018-10-22.
- Keju, Wang; Jun, Yang (2018-03-27). "Asia's longest cave has many wonders". China Daily. Archived from the original on 2018-10-22.
- Hong'e, Mo, ed. (2018-03-25). "Shuanghe Cave in SW China's Guizhou named longest cave in Asia". China News Service. Archived from the original on 2018-11-11.
- Xuequan, Mu, ed. (2018-03-24). "Guizhou's Shuanghe Cave named longest cave in Asia". Xinhua. Archived from the original on 2018-11-11.
- "贵州绥阳双河洞探测长度超238公里 成亚洲第一长洞".
- Eavis, Rob (April–May 2016). "What a Rollercoaster". Descent (249): 24–29.
- Arbeitsgemeinschaft Höllochforschung AGH. "Offizielle Vermessungs-Werte AGH" (in German). Archived from the original on 2017-09-11. Retrieved 2017-05-17.
- "Arbeitsgemeinschaft Hoellochforschung AGH" (in German). Archived from the original on 2019-01-19. Retrieved 2017-05-17.