List of level crossing crashes
The following is an incomplete list of accidents that occur at a level crossing; in other words, this list only includes railway accidents that occur at-grade and not separated from other traffic by bridges and overpasses. Note that this list is incomplete with many countries not reporting accidents, or only listing accidents of a certain level of severity and loss of life.
11 June 1962 – Villa Soldati, Buenos Aires: 42 people were killed and 88 injured when a bus was hit by an express train. 31 October 1984 – San Justo level crossing disaster: at least 48 people died and 16 were injured when a local bus was hit by a commuter train. 12 May 1992 – A minibus was hit by a freight train in the village of the Andino, province of Santa Fe. 11 children died. 9 March 2008 – Dolores, Buenos Aires: a bus collided with a passenger train, killing 18 and injuring at least 65, when the bus driver ignored the crossing warning devices. 13 September 2011 – Flores, Buenos Aires: a bus collided with a passenger train on a level crossing, derailing the train, which crashed into another train standing in Flores Station. 11 people were killed and 228 injured. The bus driver had ignored the crossing warning lights and partly lowered barrier. 2 November 2011 – A freight train collided with a school bus in a rural area of San Luis Province, 8 girls were killed and 41 were injured.
8 May 1943 – Australia's worst road-rail crash. Steam loco A2 863 hit a bus carrying soldiers at Tallangatta Road, Wodonga resulting in the death of 25 people. 24 February 1951 – 11 people killed in a collision between a bus and a train at a level crossing near Horsham, Victoria. 1 June 1952 – Nine killed in bus-train accident at a level crossing at Boronia, Victoria. 27 January 2001 – Gerogery level crossing accident – Five killed. 24 October 2002 – an interstate passenger train struck a bus and car stopped on a level crossing at Salisbury – four killed, 26 injured. 5 August 2004 – Three killed when a Sprinter passenger train collided with a car stopped on a level crossing at St Albans, Victoria. 11 August 2005 – a motorist ignored flashing level crossing lights at Horsham. 28 April 2006 – Two killed and 28 injured when a passenger train collided with a truck transporting a 14-tonne granite block, at a passively-protected crossing at Trawalla in western Victoria. 25 May 2006 – Lismore level crossing accident – a truck collided with a train at a passively-protected crossing in fog. Truck driver killed. 5 June 2007 – Kerang train crash – 11 passengers killed when a truck collided with a passenger train, slicing open two carriages. Warning lights protecting the crossing were working. 22 August 2007 – Somerville–Tyabb – truck driver killed. Flashing lights protecting the crossing were working. There were no boom barriers. 29 April 2008 – The vehicle of a 'P-Plate' driver was hit by train while stopped on a crossing in Murrumbeena, Victoria 18 November 2008 – A Connex Melbourne express train collided with a car in Dandenong South, Victoria, killing the car's 53-year-old female occupant, after she failed to stop at an actively-protected crossing. 27 November 2008 – Two people were killed and several others injured after a QR Tilt Train collided with a truck on the Bruce Highway level crossing about 20 kilometres (12 mi) south of Cardwell, Queensland. 1 January 2009 – One person was killed and six others injured after a QR Sunlander train collided with a garbage truck at a level crossing with no boom gates or warning lights, near Innisfail, Queensland. 14 November 2011 – One killed after a train collided with car at Toorak Road level crossing in Kooyong, Victoria. 28 November 2011 – A train collided with a tip truck stopped on the Springvale Road level crossing in Springvale, Victoria. 16 March 2012 – One killed after train collided with car at Cheltenham, Victoria. 25 May 2012 – One person killed after a freight train collided with a car stopped on the Cherry Road level crossing in Werribee, Victoria. 27 Oct 2012 – Reservoir, Victoria – a train collided with a truck at High Street level crossing with operational boom gates, bells and lights. 3 Nov 2012 – Dandenong South, Victoria – A truck ran through Abbotts Road level crossing with operational boom gates, bells and lights, and hit an outbound Cranbourne suburban train travelling at 115 km/h (71 mph). 1 killed, 13 injured, including the train driver.
July 12, 2006 – Akkelpur level crossing disaster – A Sayedpur-Khudna passenger train smash into a passenger bus in Jaipurhat, which killed 32 with injured 30 people. 16 April 2008 – According to ATN Bangla television, a Dinajpur–Dhaka Ekoto Express train hit a local bus on a level crossing outside of Kalihati, Tangail, Bangladesh, killing 18 and injuring 30.
June 7, 1951 – Nova Iguaçu level crossing disaster — A commuter train smashed into a truck carrying gasoline, and at least fifty-four people were killed.
November 29, 1960 – School bus struck by train near Lamont, Alberta. 17 students killed. October 7, 1966 – Dorion level crossing accident – 19 killed December 12, 1975 – A TTC bus travelling east on St. Clair Ave. E. collided with a westbound GO Transit train at the level crossing just west of Midland Ave. Nine people were killed and 20 others injured. This was the worst accident in terms of loss of life in the history of the TTC and GO Transit systems. The level crossing was replaced by an overpass a few years later. June 20, 1979 – Car collides with Via Rail train near Pointe à la Garde, Quebec. Five killed. January 15, 1989 – Car collides with Canadian National Railway freight train near Sarnia, Ontario. Five killed. January 14, 1990 – Truck collides with Via Rail train near Pembroke, Ontario. Two killed. February 6, 1990 – Via Rail train strikes a car near Lancaster, Ontario. Two killed. June 10, 1990 – Via Rail train strikes a car near Alexandria, Ontario; warning sign removed by vandals. Two killed. February 11, 1992 – Via Rail train strikes a tractor trailer near Coteau-du-Lac, Quebec. Four train passengers killed; 48 injured. August 25, 1992 – Via Rail train strikes a van north of Cornwall, Ontario. Two killed; six injured. August 27, 1992 – Via Rail train strikes a van north of Cornwall, Ontario. Two killed. October 11, 1992 – Logging truck collides with Ontario Northland Railway passenger train near New Liskeard, Ontario. Truck driver and several train passengers were injured. September 5, 1993 – Via Rail train strikes car near Stratford, Ontario. Six killed. October 24, 1993 – Via Rail train strikes police cruiser near Casselman, Ontario. Two killed. December 21, 1993 – Car collides with Canadian Pacific Railway freight train near Osgoode, Ontario. One injured. December 26, 1993 – Canadian Pacific Railway freight train strikes car near Arnprior, Ontario. One killed; two injured. August 5, 1994 – Van collides with Canadian National Railway freight train near Kanata, Ontario. One killed. September 30, 1994 – Car collides with freight train in Gatineau, Quebec. Two injured. December 16, 1994 – Via Rail train strikes tractor trailer in Smiths Falls, Ontario. No injuries. February 13, 1998 – Tractor trailer collides with Via Rail train near Carlsbad Springs, Ontario. One killed. February 21, 1998 – Via Rail train collides with vehicle in Montague Township, Ontario. One killed; four injured. November 30, 1998 – Ottawa Valley RaiLink freight train collides with vehicle near Carleton Place, Ontario. One injured. March 29, 1999 – Car collides with Canadian Pacific Railway freight train near Kemptville, Ontario. Driver survives. November 19, 1999 – Canadian Pacific Railway freight train strikes SUV near Milton, Ontario. One killed; two injured. July 25, 2000 – Car hit by train north of Cornwall, Ontario. One killed. September 2000 – Via Rail train strikes vehicle near Limehouse, Ontario. Three people killed. September 3, 2000 – Passenger car collides with Chemin de Fer Québec Sud freight train near Brigham, Quebec. Four killed. May 13, 2002 – Via Rail train collides with tractor-trailer after warning gates failed to operate. Occupants escaped but vehicle struck. January 2, 2008 – Vehicle collides with freight train near Franktown, Ontario. One injured. August 4, 2008 – Freight train strikes ATV near Shawville, Quebec. One injured. September 3, 2008 – Ottawa Valley Railway freight train collides with passenger van near Braeside, Ontario. Two injured. January 24, 2009 – A train collided with an empty police cruiser left at the crossing on Wallace Avenue, in Toronto. January 25, 2009 – A man was killed in Vanier after his car collided with a train on one of the last two level crossings in Quebec City. 2009– A Canadian National train collides with a flatbed truck in Vancouver. No one is hurt or killed. May 2010 – Via Rail train strikes truck in northwestern Alberta. Three people were killed. October 26, 2010 – Via Rail train collides with SUV north of Kingston, Ontario. One killed; one critically injured. September 18, 2013 – Ottawa bus-train crash – OC Transpo double-decker bus collides with Via Rail train near the Barrhaven neighbourhood of Ottawa. Six people were killed and 34 were injured.
December 23, 1988 – Qinghemen level crossing disaster – A local bus hit by passenger train in Shenyang, at least 46 were killed and 63 were injured. January 17, 1989 – Huinan level crossing disaster – A local bus hit by passenger train, at least 32 were killed. January 31, 1993 – Gaotaishan level crossing disaster – A Chifeng-Dalian passenger train smashed into an overcrowded bus, which killed 66 people with injured 29 in Liaoning. April 30, 1993 – Yingkou level crossing disaster – A passenger train smashed into a bus, which killed 36 people and injured 38 in Liaoning. September 16, 1999 – Yibin level crossing disaster – At least 25 people were killed and 24 people were injured, when a passenger train smashed into a school bus. December 24, 2001 – Artux level crossing disaster – At least 28 people were killed and eleven people were injured, when a mini bus hit by Ürümqi–Kashgar passenger train in Xinjiang.
November 7, 1997 – Holguin level crossing disaster – A local bus hit by Havana–Santiago de Cuba passenger train, at least fifty-six were killed and six were injured. October 6, 2007 – Yara level crossing disaster – A local bus hit by Santiago de Cuba-Manzanillo passenger train, at least twenty-eight people died and seventy-three were injured.
20 October 1979 – Imbaba level crossing disaster – A suburban passenger train smashed into a public bus in Giza Governorate, which killed 28 and injured 30 people. 11 December 1987 – According to the Egyptian government, a bus carrying local primary school children returning from the Guiza zoo was smashed by a high-speed train at an unmarked railroad level crossing at Ein Sham, on the outskirts Cairo, Egypt, killing 62 children and injuring 67. 16 April 1995 – Al Minufiyah level crossing disaster; At least forty-nine textile workers were killed, when a bus hit by an express train. 16 July 2008 – Marsa Matruh a truck failed to stop pushing waiting traffic into the path of the train. At least 40 killed. 17 November 2012 – Manfalut train accident, a school bus carrying about 60 pre-school children between four and six years old was hit by a train on a rail crossing near Manfalut, 350 km (230 miles) south of the Egyptian capital Cairo. At least 50 children and the bus driver were killed in the crash. About 17 people were also injured. 18 November 2013 – bus hit by a train at a crossing by warning light and chain, at Dahshour near Giza – 26 killed – returning from wedding
October 19, 1979 – Séméac near Tarbes in Midi Pyrenees level crossing disaster – An express train smashed into a Spanish coach carrying Spanish pilgrims women backing from Roma which killed 21 and injured 29 people. In 1980, San Sebastian city rewarded a Tambour d’Or to the people from Tarbes for the support they provided during this event. 1985, Accident_de_Saint-Pierre-du-Vauvray, collision between a train and a truck killing 17 people and injuring 99. In less than 18 years, a 21 euros millions tunnel is build to provide better safety. 1997, Accident de Port-Sainte-Foy, collision with a gazoline HGV, 13 killed, 43 injured. The truck driver and company were condemned. After the collision, a list of specific level crossing was established. The decision to replace by bridges or tunnels 15 level crossing yearly was taken. 2008, Accident d'Allinges, it was decided to add additional traffic lights and to limit HGC/coach traffic where appropriate December 14, 2017 Millas crash. A bus was hit on a level crossing.
20 June 1959 – Lauffen bus crash — A crowded bus collided with a train on a level crossing in Lauffen, West Germany killing 45, the worst bus accident in German history at that time. 1967 – Langenweddingen level crossing disaster — 94 killed. Ibbenbüren train collision 16 May 2015 — A tractor trailer became stuck at the level carrying liquid manure became stuck at a level crossing at Ibbenbüren, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany when it was hit by a Stadler FLIRT train. Twenty-two people were hurt (six seriously) and two killed including a passenger.
January 30, 1973 – Helvecia level crossing disaster – A commuter train smashed into a regular route bus, at least thirty-seven people were killed and eighteen people were injured. May 8, 2003 – Lake Balaton level crossing disaster – A double-decker bus from Germany hit by Budapest–Nagykanizsa express train, at least thirty-four were killed and forty-two were injured.
December 9, 1964 – Deoria level crossing disaster — A bus hit by a passenger train in Uttar Pradesh, at least twenty-nine people were killed and seventy-two people were injured. May 16, 1968 – An express train crashed into a bus at an unmanned railway crossing near Brecha railway station, killed 30 people and injured 35. September 11, 1986 – Pathali Pahar level crossing disaster — A local bus hit by a passenger train in Assam, at least twenty-eight people were killed and sixty people injured. March 20, 1991 – Annupur level crossing disaster — A bus hit by many vehicles and following hit a passenger train in Madhya Pradesh, at least thirty-five people died, twenty-seven people injured. December 10, 1993 – Poona level crossing disaster – A Sahyadi Express train crashed into a bus carrying school-children in Maharashtra, which killed 38 and injured 41 people. May 3, 1994 - A passenger train rammed into a tractor in Andhra Pradesh, killing 35 people. May 14, 1996 – A passenger train crashed into a bus in Kerala, killing 35 people. May 25, 1996 – A passenger train crashed into a tractor trailer in Uttar Pradesh, killing 25 people. April 1999 – Jhukia level crossing disaster — A bus with a wedding party hit by passenger train, at least 45 people were killed. February 2, 2005 – A passenger train crashed into a tractor-trailer carrying over 60 people at the Nagpur level crossing, killing over 55 people. July 7, 2011 – Dariyaiganj level crossing accident – A Mathura-Chhapra passenger train rammed into a bus, carrying wedding guests in Kanshiram Nagar, Uttar Pradesh, which killed 38 persons and injured another 32. April 26, 2018 – Dudhinagar level crossing accident - A fast passenger train crashed into a school bus - thirteen children died and eight were seriously injured. Crash happened near Dudhinagar, district of Kushinagar, Uttar Pradesh.
November 4, 1997 – Kotabumi level crossing disaster – An express train smashed into a bus in Sumatra, which killed 26 and injured 5 people. November 3, 2001 – Serang level crossing disaster – A freight train smashed into a bus, carrying local pilgrim in West Java, which killed 20 people. December 9, 2013 - 2013 Bintaro train crash - A commuter train smashed into a Pertamina tanker truck in Jakarta and derail, which killed 7 people including the drivers, assistant engineer, and the train technician. At least 73 Passenger were injured. May 4, 2014 - Cirebon Train Derailment - Bogowonto train which pulled by CC206 hit a container truck and derail at Cirebon grade crossing . There were no passengers killed in the accident, but the derailment makes other trains behind schedule. December 6, 2015 - A Commuter Line hit Metromini city bus in Angke station level crossing, killing 18 people inside the Metromini but no victim from train side. The front body of Commuter Line was severely damaged. This accident also led to Metromini future ban, gradually replaced by lines of Transjakarta. Several level crossings in Jakarta were going to be closed prior to this accident. April 6, 2018 - Sancaka 86 derailment - Sancaka train 86 hit a concrete carrier trailer truck and derailed at Ngawi, killing the train's driver.
June 12, 1985 – HaBonim disaster – A passenger train smashed into a bus carrying school children, at least twenty-two people were killed and seventeen were injured.
June 10, 1958 15:28 – Nantan, Kyoto: 4 people were killed and 88 injured. Steam locomotive collided with an elementary school charter bus. January 3, 1959 22:50 – Osaka, Osaka: 7 people were killed and 13 injured. A bus was hit by Hankyu Exporess train, which caused by the delayed closing of the crossing signalman. December 12, 1960 – Maniwa, Okayama: 10 people were killed and 50 injured. A bus was hit by the train at the crossing without crossing signal. September 20, 1963 – Fukuoka, Fukuoka: 8 people were killed. 4-car train collided with a truck and derailed, and another 1-car train collided with the derailed train. April 1, 1967 – Sennan, Osaka: 5 people were killed and 208 injured. The train collided with a truck and derailed. December 9, 1969 – Tatebayashi, Gunma: 7 people were killed and 101 injured. The train collided with a crane truck. March 30, 1970 – Shimonoseki, Yamaguchi: 5 people were killed and 29 injured. The train collided with a concrete mixer lorry and derailed. March 4, 1971 – Fujiyoshida, Yamanashi: 17 people were killed and 71 injured. the train collided with a small truck, and brake device of the train malfunctioned. Then train continued for 4 km and derailed.
August 17, 2000 – 6 die in Kisumu, after a freight train hits a packed bus on a busy level crossing during the morning rush hour.
1975 – Cuautitlan level crossing accident — A Mexico City–Ciudad Juárez passenger train smash into an express bus, at least twenty-nine people died and thirty-two people were injured on February 8, 1975. January 17, 1977 – Tianepantla level crossing disaster — A passenger train smashed into a local bus, at least forty-two people were killed. August 15, 1982 – Tula level crossing disaster — an express bus hit by Nuevo Laredo-Mexico City passenger train, at least twenty-three people were killed and thirty-two people were injured. February 25, 1989 – Saltillo level crossing disaster — A passenger train smashed into a local bus, at least twenty-two people were killed. January 14, 1990 – Léon level crossing disaster — A local bus hit by a freight train, at least thirty-three people died and twenty-six people were injured. 1997 – Mexico City a commuter train hit a fuel tanker at a crossing and later exploded killing at least 20 people; the explosion was recorded by a news helicopter. December 2006 – Cuautilan level crossing disaster — A passenger bus hit by thirty-six cars of a freight train and killing at least twenty-eight, another fourteen were injured.
March 1, 2000 – Ksar el-Kebir – A train crashed into a tractor trailer that carried 50 agricultural workers – 36 killed and 10 injured – Accident was due to fog.
February 17, 1944, Lisse – Truck with workers was pushed onto the crossing after a collision with another truck and was hit by train, 9 killed, many injured. May 25, 1954, Zandbulten – Bus with wedding guests was hit by train, 6 dead and ca. 20 injured. October 10, 1977 – IJsselmuiden – Car was hit by train on level crossing, 6 killed. July 22, 1986 – Brummen – Van, transporting mentally disabled, gets hit by train on level crossing, 6 dead, 2 injured. June 16, 2000, Klarenbeek – Car with caravan drove through a red light at a rail crossing and was struck by train, family of 5 killed. February 23, 2016, Dalfsen train crash involving slow-moving elevated work platform on steel caterpillar tracks.
August 25, 1993 – Rolleston — A truck fails to stop for level crossing alarms and hits the side of a southbound Southerner express passenger train, killing three and seriously injuring seven. March 22, 1997 – Trentham – A Wellington to Upper Hutt suburban service hits a car on a level crossing after the alarms and barrier arms failed to activate, injuring three people. The train driver had passed a signal at danger immediately before the crossing.
October 1987 – Moro level crossing disaster — At least 50 people died and 40 were injured, when a passenger train smashed into a bus. September 2003 – Malikwal level crossing disaster — A bus hit by Lalamusa-Surghuda local train, at least twenty-seven were killed and six injured. Mian Channun town, about 100 kilometres east of the central city of Multan in Punjab province – in fog – School bus – 9 killed and 18 injured.
January 19, 1952. Seventeen people were killed after a train collided with a truck in Występa. September 19, 1985. Six people were killed and fourteen were injured after a freight train collided with a city bus Jelcz PR110U in Olsztyn. July 30, 2012. Nine people were killed and one person was seriously injured after a train and a minibus collided in the Polish town of Bratoszewice. November 15, 2007. Two people were killed after a train collided with a truck, when the truck driver had ignored lights and KLD-40 type bells in Poledno.
May 2, 1938. In Viana do Castelo, at 00.15 AM, on the Gontim street level crossing, a train crashed into an open-box lorry that carried more of forty people that returned from celebrations of the Labour Day. 28 of them were killed and seventeen injured. April 26, 1984. Terronho crossing, Recarei, Paredes – 07:30 AM – Train-Bus collision – 17 killed and over 20 injured.
Voronezhskay level crossing disaster — At least 21 people were dead and six were injured, when a bus carrying factory workers hit by Mineralnye Vody–Krasnodar passenger train on January 21, 2006. 6 October 2017 - A train travelling from St. Petersburg to Nizhny-Novgorod collided with a bus at a level crossing in the city of Vladimir, killing 16 people. The bus was suspected to have been stalled due to an engine malfunction.
21 February 2009 – Slovakian coach and train collision − 12 killed − lights but no booms.
January 28, 1970 – Henley on Klip level crossing disaster — An express train hit a bus carrying local students, killing 23 and injuring 16. June 7, 1980 – Empangeni level crossing disaster — Nkilini–Empangeni passenger train hit a bus, killing 69 and injuring 93 people. 2005 – Johannesburg level crossing accident — 9 killed. November 12, 2006 – Faure level crossing accident — A Metrorail commuter train hit a truck carrying local farmworkers, killing 19 and injuring 6. August 25, 2010 – Blackheath level crossing accident — A Metrorail commuter train hit a minibus filled with school children, killing 10. Accident allegedly due to the minibus driver's negligence. July 13, 2012 – Hectorspruit level crossing accident — A goods train hauling coal from Witbank to Maputo smashed into a truck carrying 44 farm workers near Hectorspruit, Mpumalanga, killing 26 people. January 4, 2018 – Hennenman–Kroonstad train crash — A truck trying to beat a passenger train through a crossing was struck by it, killing 21.
January 1954 – Osan level crossing disaster — A truck, carrying an army infantry school, smashed into local passenger train, at least 56 people died and many were injured in Hwaseong, Gyeonggi-do. October 1970 – Onyang level crossing disaster — A charter bus was hit by an express train and at least 42 people were killed.
June 11, 1989 – Kamenskaya Pogorelova level crossing disaster – An Adeler−Voronezh passenger train was hit by a local bus, which killed 31 and injured 14 people. (Present day of Dnipropetrovsk region, Ukraine) July 7, 1990 – Petrozavodsk level crossing disaster. A local bus service from Padozero to Petrozavodsk collided with a suburban train on the Petrozavodsk-Suoyarvi route on the 14th km of the A133. In total 33 of the 80 passengers on the bus were killed. The 11th of July was declared a day of mourning in the Karelian ASSR.
December 19, 1929 – Gelida level crossing accident – Gelida (Barcelona) – Bus-train collision – 17 killed and 8 injured. April 17, 1930 – Gilet level crossing accident – Gilet (Valencia) – Bus-train collision – 13 killed and 20 injured. June 10, 1934 – La Pola de Gordon crossing accident – La Pola de Gordón (León) – Bus-train collision – 20 killed and 11 injured. June 30, 1965 – El Arahal crossing accident – El Arahal (Seville) – Bus-train collision – 12 killed and 30 injured December 21, 1978 – Munoz level crossing disaster – Munoz, La Fuente de San Esteban (Salamanca) – A bus carrying school children hit by a Salamanca-bound locomotive, thirty-two people were killed and fifty-six people were injured. September 24, 1980 – Vara de Quart level crossing disaster – Vara de Quart, Xirivella (Valencia) – A Valencia-Madrid express train smashed into a local bus, which killed 25 and injured 28 people. March 25, 1988 – Juneda level crossing accident – Juneda (Lleida/Lérida) – Schoolbus-train collision – 15 killed and 23 injured. January 3, 2001 – Lorca level crossing accident – Lorca (Province of Murcia) – Van-train collision – 12 killed and 2 injured.
12 September 1982 – A bus that was carrying German tourists collided with a train on a level crossing near Zürich, Switzerland, killing 39. The barriers were not closed, because the operator pressed a wrong button. Only two passengers survived the crash.
March 11, 1961 – 27 killed, 15 injured when a south-bound passenger train (#3001 Diesel Limited Express) smashed into a truck carrying soldiers at level crossing between Linfengyin (林鳳營) and Longtien (隆田), Tainan July 8, 1961 – 48 killed, 28 injured when a south-bound passenger train (#11 Limited Express) smashed into a bus at level crossing in Minxong (民雄), Chiayi. April 21, 1976 – Tacheng level crossing disaster – South-bound passenger train (#33 Kuan-kuang Limited Express; Kuan-kuang Hao) smashed into a bus carrying high school students in Dacun (大村), Changhua, which killed 40 and injured 42 people. March 8, 1981 – Hsinchu level crossing disaster — At least thirty people died and 131 people were injured, when a north-bound passenger train (#1002 Tzu-chiang Limited Express, Tzu-chiang Hao) smashed into a truck at the south shore of the Toucian River, Hsinchu. December 20, 1990 – Lujhu (Luzhu, 路竹) level crossing disaster — At least twenty-five people were killed and thirty-two people injured when a north-bound train (#1020 Tzu-chiang Limited Express) smashed into a tour bus.
Nov. 6 – Twelve people died and others were injured when a bus collided with a train at Kiberege in Tanzania's eastern region. Six men, four women and two girls. The bus driver, who crossed without taking precautions, ran away after the incident.
Korat level crossing disaster — At least forty were killed and thirty-nine were injured, when an overcrowded bus was hit by an express train in Nakhon Ratchasima in July 1967. Takhli level crossing disaster — A track slammed into the side of a Lopburi−Pitsanulok passenger train, at least twenty-seven were killed in May 1988.
Keshi level crossing disaster – At least 40 people were killed when a bus was hit by a diesel locomotive train in the outskirts of Ashgabat on September 19, 1998.
Leicester and Swannington Railway 1832 train hit horse and cart; one of the first ever level crossing accidents. Hixon rail crash — 1968 – 11 killed; involving slow-moving transporter under police escort. Lockington rail crash — 1986 – 9 killed Ufton Nervet rail crash — 2004 – 7 killed; suicide by car driver. Black Horse Drove — October 2005 – 1 killed in collision with tractor Elsenham pedestrian accident — 3 December 2005 – 2 killed Wokingham, Berkshire — 2007 – 1 killed Wokingham, Berkshire — 2008 – 1 killed Halkirk, Caithness — 2009 – 3 killed Penrhyndeudraeth, Gwynedd – 2 Sept 2009 – 1 killed Wokingham, Berkshire — 2010 – 1 killed Little Cornard, Suffolk — 2010 – 1 with life-threatening injuries Chorley – 2011 – 1 killed, 1 serious injury Dunragit – 2012 – 1 serious injury Pleasants Crossing, Denver — July 2012 – 1 killed Athelney, Somerset – 2013 – 1 killed (car driver) Scampston, North Yorkshire – 2014 = 1 killed Lincoln – 2014 = 2 killed
Columbus, Ohio – March 30, 1923 – A westbound Four Flyer en route to Cincinnati from Boston hit an automobile at a grade crossing derailing almost the entire train. 6 people were killed, 3 of them were the occupants of the car. The other 3 were the Engineer, the Fireman and an Ohio politician; another 14 were injured. Salt Lake City, Utah – winter 1938 – 23 children killed when a blizzard obscured an oncoming train at a crossing in Salt Lake County in what is now South Jordan.-archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=57209695&itype=CMSID Rockville, Maryland – April 11, 1935 – 14 killed – A B&O express train struck a bus carrying students of Williamsport High School who were returning from a University of Maryland science fair. Accident occurred at (long closed) Baltimore Road crossing. 1963 Chualar bus crash – September 17, 1963 – 32 killed, 25 injured – A flatbed truck being used as a bus was hit by a freight train in Salinas Valley, California. It was the worst fatal vehicle accident in United States history, according to the National Safety Council. Gilchrest Road, New York crossing accident – March 24, 1972 – 5 killed. Fibre, Michigan – July 30, 1974 – 8 killed. A 1972 Oldsmobile station wagon, occupied by four children and four adults, collided with a Soo Line freight train at the Fibre Crossing, which did not have lights or gates installed. Plant City, Florida – October 1977 – 10 killed. Amtrak Passenger Train struck pickup truck that attempted to beat the train at a crossing. No injuries on the train. Mineola, New York – March 1982 – 9 killed, one injured. A passenger van drove around the crossing gate and was struck by a Long Island Rail Road train. 1995 Fox River Grove bus–train collision – October 25, 1995 – 7 killed. Bourbonnais train accident – 1999 – 11 killed. Murray County, Georgia – March 28, 2000 – 3 killed, CSX freight train strikes a school bus at an unsignalled crossing. Glendale train crash – 2005 – 11 killed Oxnard, California 2008 – Amtrak Passenger Train struck a truck. Truck was smashed; however no injuries were reported. Canton, Michigan crash – 2009 – 5 killed when the driver of a car drove around lowered railroad crossing gates and was struck in a "T-bone" manner by a westbound Wolverine train. No injuries on the train. The driver had his license suspended the day before. Revere, Massachusetts – May 2008 – Boy killed by "Second train coming" on MBTA. Detroit, Michigan – March 1, 2010 – An Amtrak train struck a fire engine owned by the Detroit Fire Department on the city's southwest side. Midland train crash – November 15, 2012 – A Union Pacific freight train collided with a flatbed truck that was part of a parade in Midland, Texas honoring veterans of the United States Armed Forces. Four veterans were killed, while none on board the train were hurt. Valhalla train crash – February 3, 2015 – A Metro-North train collided with an SUV at a crossing at Valhalla, New York, resulting in 6 deaths and at least 12 injuries. 2015 Oxnard train derailment – February 24, 2015 – 1 died, 29 injured – a Metrolink passenger train collided with a truck on a grade crossing and derailed at Oxnard, California. 2015 Halifax train crash –March 9, 2015 – An Amtrak passenger train collided with an oversize load on a grade crossing at Halifax, North Carolina. Fifty-five people were injured. 2018 Crozet, Virginia train crash - January 31, 2018 - A train carrying members of Congress from the Republican Party from Washington, D.C. to a retreat in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia crashed into a garbage truck at a level crossing near Crozet, Virginia, killing the garbage truck driver. - Westbury, New York - February 28, 2019 - Two separate Long Island Railroad trains hit a pickup truck causing the train to derail and damage the nearby LIRR platform. 3 people are killed.
- Smith, Geri (October 31, 1984). "Bus-train crash kills 43 people". UPI. Retrieved May 18, 2016.
- "Flores: 11 Muertos y 228 Heridos en un Choque Entre Dos Trenes y un Colectivo". Todo Noticias (in Spanish). Buenos Aires. 13 September 2011. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "Al Menos Once Muertos y 228 Heridos en la Mayor Tragedia con Trenes en la Ciudad en Casi 50 Años". Clarín (in Spanish). Buenos Aires. 13 September 2011. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- "Argentina Bus and Trains Crash Killing at Least 11". British Broadcasting Corporation. 14 September 2011. Retrieved 24 February 2012.
- "Railpage.com.au". Railpage. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- "Major rail accidents in Australia – National". smh.com.au. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "Investigation: 2002/002 – Collision between the passenger train 5AL8 and vehicles at the Salisbury Interchange level crossing, Salisbury, SA, 24 October 2002". Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- "St. Albans Accident – Victoria – Forums – Railpage – Railpage Australia". Railpage. 2004-08-05. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "Level Crossing Collision" (PDF). Australian transport Safety Bureau. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "Melbourne – Adelaide train services disrupted into next week following fatal crash – Wikinews, the free news source". En.wikinews.org. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "Truck driver killed in level crossing smash – ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)". Abc.com.au. 2007-08-22. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "High speed train crash in Dandenong South kills woman". 2008-11-18. Archived from the original on December 23, 2008. Retrieved 2009-01-01.
- "Two dead in Queensland train, vehicle crash". The Age. Melbourne. 2008-11-27. Retrieved 2008-11-30.
- "Fatal crossing one of 10 worst in Qld". 2009-01-02. Retrieved 2009-01-02.
- Nagyivan, Shannon. "Glen Waverley line resumes services after Kooyong crash – Emergency Services – News – Stonnington Leader". Stonnington-leader.whereilive.com.au. Archived from the original on 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- Precel, Nicole (2011-11-28). "Springvale trains resume service after train and truck crash – Emergency Services – News – Cranbourne Leader". Cranbourne-leader.whereilive.com.au. Archived from the original on 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "Deadly smash at Cheltenham train crossing on MSN Video". Video.au.msn.com. Archived from the original on 2013-11-01. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- Name: (will appear on website) (2012-05-25). "Train delays after car hit near Werribee | Geelong, VIC, Australia". Geelongadvertiser.com.au. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "Hundreds evacuated after train ploughs into a semi-trailer at a level crossing in Melbourne's north". The Age. 27 October 2012. Retrieved 6 November 2012.
- Lucas, Clay (5 November 2012). "Truck appeared to crash into gates". The Age. Retrieved 5 November 2012.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-11-21. Retrieved 2008-08-25.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Railway Wrecks by Edgar A. Haine, page 146, publ 1993, ISBN 0-8453-4844-2
- "Level roadway-train crossings have deadly history in Canada". CTV News. September 18, 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- Tuominen, Lisa (September 18, 2012). "Timeline: History of crashes at level crossings". Leader-Post. Regina. Retrieved 2013-09-21.
- "Why park a cruiser in train's path?". thestar.com. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- "Collision mortelle entre un train et une camionnette". La Presse. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- "Via train and city bus crash in Ottawa, at least 5 dead: officials". CTV News. September 18, 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-18.
- "OC Transpo tragedy: Names of the victims emerge as city grasps for answers". Ottawa Citizen. September 19, 2013. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- "Srážka vlaku a kamionu ve Studénce má třetí oběť" (in Czech). ČTK. Retrieved 19 August 2015.
- Associated Press. " Egypt Bus Crash Kills At Least 57 Children" The New York Times 12 December 1987
- "Egypt bus crash kills 50 children near Manfalut". BBC. 17 November 2012. Retrieved 17 November 2012.
- "QUESTIONS AFTER 26 DIE AT EGYPTIAN CROSSING". Railways Africa. 2013-12-03. Retrieved 2014-02-12.
- Chronik: Schwere Busunfälle in Deutschland Archived 2008-10-11 at the Wayback Machine
- "German train crash kills two near Ibbenbueren". BBC News Online. Retrieved 16 May 2015.
- "WestfalenBahn kollidiert mit Gülleanhänger bei Ibbenbüren – Mit unseren Gedanken sind wir bei den Angehörigen des verstorbenen Fahrgastes und unseres Kollegen" [WestfalenBahn collides with liquid manure trailer in Ibbenbüren – Our thoughts are with the relatives of the deceased passenger and our colleagues] (in German). Westfalenbahn. 16 May 2015.
- "TVB News". YouTube. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- 屯門湖景路 (1970-01-01). "wu king road – Google 地圖". Maps.google.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- Archived August 19, 2011, at the Wayback Machine
- "Europe's history of rail disasters". BBC News. October 11, 2006. Retrieved May 8, 2010.
- "At least 32 dead in crash between train and tourist bus". The Sydney Morning Herald. May 9, 2003.
- "Express runs into bus carrying 70". The Indian Express. 16 May 1968.
- "Chronology Of Train Accidents In India Since 1990". Outlook. 22 June 2001. Retrieved 23 September 2017.
- "Looking back on train accidents". The Times of India. 21 April 2005. Retrieved 23 September 2017.
- "Chronology of rail accidents since 1985". www.rediff.com. 16 June 2004. Retrieved 23 September 2017.
- "India train crash deaths reach 55". BBC News. 4 February 2005. Retrieved 23 September 2017.
- "India: '38 dead' after train hits bus at level crossing". BBC. 7 July 2011. Retrieved 23 September 2017.
- "13 children killed after train rams into school van at railway crossing in UP's Kushinagar". Hindustan Times. 26 April 2018. Retrieved 6 May 2018.
- "新修亀岡市史 資料編 第3巻附録 「グラフかめおか20世紀」" by 亀岡市史編さん委員会, Kameoka (2000), page 92.
- Nishi-Nippon Newspaper evening at March 30, 1970
- Morocco: train collides with trailer. 35 killed, article in Danger ahead Railfan.net
- De Nieuwe Koerier, 21 February 1944
- Nieuwsblad van het Noorden, 26 May 1954
- De Friese Koerier, 4 August 1954
- Leeuwarder Courant, October 11 1977
- De Telegraaf, 23 July 1986
- Het Vrije Volk, 29 August 1986
- Nieuwsblad van het Noorden, 17 June 2000
- "Passenger express train Southerner DF6202, collision with motor vehicle, Rolleston Canterbury, 25 August 1993". Transport Accident Investigation Commission. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
- "Concrete truck in near-miss with TranzAlpine express". The New Zealand Herald. 27 May 2008. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
A collision between a concrete truck and the Southerner passenger train at Rolleston in 1993 cost the lives of three passengers [...]
- "Investigation 97-103 -- Electic [sic] Multiple Unit 3656, collision with motor vehicle, Trentham, 22 March 1997". Transport Accident Investigation Commission. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "News – Railpage – Railpage Australia". Railpage. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- Paweł Więcek. "Tę straszną katastrofę przez lata ukrywały władze - dziś odsłaniamy jej tajemnice". echodnia.eu (in Polish). Retrieved April 8, 2019.
- "Minęło 25 lat..." Olsztyn24 (in Polish). September 19, 2010.
- "Jelcz PR110U #545". phototrans.eu. Retrieved April 8, 2019.
W czwartek, 19 września 1985 roku doszło do tragicznego w skutkach wypadku z udziałem autobusu olsztyńskiej komunikacji miejskiej. Około godziny 5:30 rano kierowca autobusu o numerze taborowym 545, który tego dnia obsługiwał linię nr 7, jadąc ulicą Sielską od strony Dajtek, wjechał na nie zamknięty szlabanami przejazd kolejowy. W tym samym momencie w tył autobusu z impetem uderzyła lokomotywa rozpędzonego pociągu towarowego. Autobus wleczony był po torowisku prawie 300 metrów. W chwilę później przednią część autobusu zmiażdżył drugi pociąg towarowy, który nadjechał z przeciwnego kierunku. W katastrofie śmierć poniosło 6 osób, 14 zostało rannych. Tego samego dnia wojewoda olsztyński Sergiusz Rubaczewski powołał specjalną komisję, której zadaniem było zbadanie przyczyn katastrofy.
- "Nine killed as minibus and train collide in Poland". BBC News. July 30, 2012.
- "Pociąg uderzył w ciężarówkę". TVN24 (in Polish). November 15, 2007. Retrieved April 8, 2019.
- SILVA, Pedro Luis (2014), «A tragédia que há 75 anos fez parar a festa das cruzes» (Blog, in Portuguese).
- Train-Bus crash kills 17, article in The Miwaukee Journal, 26 April 1984, page 2.
- "Train hits bus in Russia, killing at least 16 people". Sky News. 6 October 2017. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- "Midvaal Local municipality" (PDF). Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- "South Africa: Mpuma Crash Toll Reaches 26". allAfrica. 13 July 2012. Retrieved 22 September 2012.
- Spanish grade crash takes 15 lives toll, The Milwaukee Sentinel (December 20, 1929)
- «A frigthful smash. Train and motor coach» article in Townsville Daily Bulletin, 21 December 1929, page 5. National Library of Australia historic press server.
- «Twelve killed at level crossing. Disaster in Spain» article in Northern Star, 21 April 1930, page 18. National Library of Australia historic press server.
- «Twenty two killed in Spanish train fatality.» article in The Advertiser, 12 June 1934, page 9. National Library of Australia historic press server.
- «14 killed in Spain train crash», article in The Daily Herald, Provo, Utah, USA, 01 July 1965, page 11.
- Villages mourn 28 children killed by train, The Glasgow Herald (December 22, 1978)
- « School Bus-Train collide in Spain», article in The Spartamburg Herald Journal, 22 December 1978, page 1.
- «In Brief – Collision article in The Canberra Times, 26 September 1980, page 4. National Library of Australia historic press server.
- «Spanish bus crash kills 15», article in The Miami News, 25 March 1988, page 3A.
- « Thousands at funeral for 12 killed in Spanish train crash», article in The Blade of Toledo , 05 January 2001, page 2
- ADAC. "Busunfälle in Europa seit 1982". Archived from the original on 30 September 2007. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- (Taiwan) United Daily News, Mar 12, 1961
- (Taiwan) United Daily News, Jul 9, 1961
- (Taiwan) United Daily News, Apr 22, 1976
- (Taiwan) United Daily News, Mar 9, 1981
- (Taiwan) United Daily News, Dec 21, 1990
- "RP". Railpage. Retrieved 15 November 2014.
- Black Horse Drove – RAIB Accident Report. Retrieved 13 July 2018
- "Teenager killed at level-crossing". BBC News. January 26, 2007. Retrieved May 8, 2010.
- "Woman killed on railway crossing". BBC News. March 31, 2008. Retrieved May 8, 2010.
- "Inquest told woman 'misjudged' Gwynedd level crossing". BBC News.
- "Driver killed on level crossing". BBC News. March 6, 2010. Retrieved May 8, 2010.
- Meikle, James (August 18, 2010). "Suffolk rail crossing crash leaves man with life-threatening injuries". The Guardian. London. Retrieved August 18, 2010.
- "Driver killed in crash with train on 'user operated' level-crossing". London Evening Standard. 12 July 2012. Retrieved 13 July 2018
- "Level crossing crash: One dead as train hits car". BBC News. March 21, 2013. Retrieved March 27, 2013.
- "Rockville Tragedy | After 60 years, small town's tragedy remains vivid "THIS WAS OUR WORST DAY" – Baltimore Sun". Articles.baltimoresun.com. 1995-04-09. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "Second survivor of 1963 Chualar bus crash emerges". Monterey Herald. March 1, 2014. Archived from the original on October 6, 2014.
- Barron, James (March 15, 1982). "Train Kills 9 Teens On L.I. As Van Goes Past Crossing Gate". The New York Times. Retrieved January 31, 2019.
- Highway Accident Report – NTSB/HAR-01/03 National Transportation Safety Board (December 11, 2001). Retrieved 2010-04-16
- "5-year-old Revere boy killed by train – Itemlive.com: News". Thedailyitemoflynn.com. October 30, 2013. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- "4 dead after train hits truck during Texas parade saluting U.S. troops". CNN.com. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- Fitsimmons, Emma (February 4, 2015). "Metro-North Train Hits S.U.V.; Federal Officials Prepare to Investigate". The New York Times. Retrieved 2015-02-04.
- Silva, Daniella (31 January 2018). "Train carrying GOP lawmakers to retreat hits trash truck". MSNBC. NBC News. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- Casares, Landon (28 February 2019). "Train hits pickup truck killing 3". CBS. CBS News. Retrieved 28 March 2019.