List of islands of Japan
The five main islands of Japan are:
- Hokkaido - the northernmost and second largest main island.
- Honshu - the largest and most populous island with the capital Tokyo.
- Kyushu - the third largest main island and nearest to the Asian continent.
- Shikoku - the second smallest main island after Okinawa. It is between Honshu and Kyushu.
- Okinawa - the smallest and southernmost of the main islands.
Remote islands of Japan
Islands of Honshu in the Sea of Japan
Islands in Tokyo Bay (artificial islands)
Islands in Osaka Bay (artificial islands)
Islands in Ise Bay
Nanpō Islands (Nanpō Shotō)
- Izu Islands
Islands around Kyushu
Most of these are located in the East China Sea.
Ryukyu Islands (Nansei-shotō)
The North-Eastern Group:
The North-Western Group:
Ryukyu Islands (Ryūkyū-shotō)
The Southern Half, Okinawa Prefecture
The Central Group or Ryukyu proper:
Also known as the Further Isles:
Seto Inland Sea islands
- Kasaoka Islands
- Shiwaku Islands
- Itsukushima (popularly known as "Miyajima")
- Naoshima Islands
- Suō-Ōshima, Yamaguchi
- Himeshima, Ōita
- Aoshima, Ehime
- Hashira Island
- Okamura Island
- Ōshima (Ehime)
- Mukaishima Island, Hiroshima
- Ōmishima Island, Ehime
Other artificial islands
Claims but does not control
The Northern Territories
There are four disputed Kuril Islands that are claimed by Japan. These islands are called the Chishima Islands.
Largest islands of Japan
- Look Japan, Vol. 43, Issues 493-504, p. 35; retrieved 2013-3-2.
- "離島とは(島の基礎知識)" (in Japanese). Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. Archived from the original (website) on November 13, 2007. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- "Island Countries Of The World". WorldAtlas.com. Archived from the original on 2017-12-07. Retrieved 2019-08-10.
- "離島とは(島の基礎知識) (what is a remote island?)". MLIT (Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism) (in Japanese). Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism. 22 August 2015. Archived from the original (website) on 2007-07-13. Retrieved 9 August 2019.
MILT classification 6,852 islands（main islands: 5 islands, remote islands: 6,847 islands)
- Imperial Japanese Commission to the Louisiana Purchase Exposition. (1903). Japan in the Beginning of the 20th century (Haruki Yamawaki, editor), p. 2.
- Nussbaum, Louis-Frédéric. (2005). "Rishiri-tō" in Japan Encyclopedia, p. 791.
- Ponsonby-Fane, Richard. (1962). Sovereign and Subject, p. 332.
- Ponsonby-Fane, p. 331.
- Nussbaum, "Izu Shotō" at p. 412.
- Gotoh, H. et al. (2010). "Infrastructure Maintenance and Disaster Prevention Measures on Isolated Islands: the Case of the Izu Islands near Tokyo" in Island Sustainability (Favro, S., editor), p. 187.
- Nussbaum, p. 412; Ponsonby-Fane, p. 332.
- Nussbaum, "Ōshima" at p. 761.
- Nussbaum, "Torishima" at p. 987.
- Nussbaum, "Ogasawara Guntō" at p. 737.
- Nussbaum, "Hashima" at p. 294.
- Imperial Japanese Commission, p. 3.