List of counterintelligence organizations
Counterintelligence organizations and agencies attempt to prevent foreign intelligence organizations from successfully gathering and collecting intelligence against the governments they serve.
Active counterintelligence organizations
- Belgian State Security Service — in Dutch, Staatsveiligheid (SV); in French, Sûreté de l'État (SE)
- Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS)
- Canadian Forces National Counter-Intelligence Unit (CFNCIU)
- Greiningardeild Ríkislögreglustjóra - National Security Unit
- Ministry of Intelligence and National Security of Iran
- the Netherlands
- Federal Office of Police — in German, Bundesamt für Polizei (BAP); in French, Office fédéral de la police; in Italian, Ufficio federale di polizia
- United Kingdom
- Security Service, commonly known as MI5
- Royal Air Force Police Counter Intelligence Squadron
- United States
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- United States Army Intelligence CI Special Agents (USAI)
- Army Intelligence and Security Command (INSCOM)
- Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI)
- DIA's Defense Counterintelligence and Human Intelligence Center (DCHC)
- Diplomatic Security Service (DSS), U.S. Department of State (DS/ICI/CI)
- Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS, formerly NIS)
- United States Marine Corps Counterintelligence
- Office of the National Counterintelligence Executive (ONCIX)
- Central Intelligence Agency (CIA)
Defunct counterintelligence organizations
These organizations are now defunct, possibly absorbed by a successor organization.
- Nazi Germany
- Wojskowe Służby Informacyjne (WSI) — dissolved in 2006 for having been involved in illegal activities
- Soviet Union and Imperial Russia
- Committee for State Security (KGB) — previously MGB, NKVD, OGPU, Cheka, and, during imperial times, Okhrana
- "Overview of ASIS's purpose". ASIS. Retrieved 7 October 2012.
- "CFNCIU". Retrieved 2011-04-15.
- "Czech Intelligence Service". Retrieved 2007-11-08.
- "Hellenic National Intelligence Service". Retrieved 2007-11-08.
- Nomikos, John M. (Winter 2004). "Greek Intelligence Service and Post 9/11 Challenges" (PDF). The Journal of Intelligence History. 4 (2). Retrieved 2007-11-08.
- "The crisis of the Hungarian intelligence services". November 8, 2007. Retrieved 2007-11-08.
- "Public Security Investigation Agency". Retrieved 2007-11-08.
- "Kenyan National Security Intelligence Service". Retrieved 2007-11-08.
- Hunt, Emily (February 6, 2006). "Can al-Qaeda's Lebanese Expansion Be Stopped?". Washington Institute for Near East Policy. Retrieved 2007-11-06.
- "Switzerland: Intelligence Agencies". Retrieved 2007-11-08.
- "Erdoğan resists calls for northern Iraq incursion". USA-Turkish Times. Retrieved 2007-11-07.