List of United States Navy enlisted warfare designations
The United States Navy enlisted warfare designations represent the achievement of a qualification and entitles the member to wear the associated insignia. When awarded in accordance with appropriate guidelines, enlisted sailors are authorized to place the designator in parentheses immediately after the member’s rate abbreviation, for example, MM1(SW) Smith, HM2(CAC) Jones. In cases of multiple designators, the designators are separated by a slash enclosed in parentheses, for example, MM1(SW/AW) Smith, HM2(FMF/CAC) Jones. Although commissioned officers have warfare pins and designations, such as Surface Warfare Officer, they do not use warfare designators in their titles.
Surface Warfare community
- (SW) - Surface Warfare Specialist
Undersea Warfare community
- (SS) - Submarine Warfare Specialist (or "Qualified Submarine Specialist")
- (SU) - "In training for submarine qualifications"
- (SQ) - "Qualified in submarines, but not planned for future assignment to submarine duty."
- (SG) - "Qualified in submarines, but not in submarine source rating; not detailed by the submarine community."
- (SP) - "Previously assigned in submarines; assigned only to those personnel disqualified for submarine duty and serving in a submarine support billet; detailed by the submarine community, but not to be reassigned to submarine duty without prior approval of NAVPERSCOM."
- (IUSS) - Integrated Undersea Surveillance System Specialist
- (DSI) - Deep Submergence Insignia
Marine Corps support community
- (PJ) - Basic Parachutist or Navy and Marine Corps Parachutist
- (FPJ) - Free Fall Parachutist
Special Operations community
- (DV) - Diver - applies to personnel with Navy Enlisted Classifications:
- 5311 - Saturation Diver
- 5342/5931 - Diver First Class
- 5343/5932 - Diver Second Class
- 5345 - SCUBA Diver
- HM-8493 - Medical Deep Sea Diving Technician
- HM-8494 - Deep Sea Diving Independent Duty Corpsman
- (MCD) - Marine Combatant Diver - applies to personnel with Navy Enlisted Classifications:
- HM-8403 - Fleet Marine Force Reconnaissance Independent Duty Corpsman
- HM-8427 - Fleet Marine Force Reconnaissance Corpsman
- (MDV) - Master Diver - applies to personnel with Navy Enlisted Classifications:
- 5341/5933 - Master Diver
- 5346 - Master Saturation Diver
Special Warfare community
- (SEAL) - Naval Special Warfare Specialist; a designator for Special Warfare Operator (SO) rating
- (SWCC) - Special Warfare Combatant-craft Crewmen; a designator for Special Warfare Boat Operator (SB) rating
Expeditionary Warfare community
- (EXW) - Expeditionary Warfare Specialist
Information Warfare community
IDW was updated to IW in July 2016.