Lipsenj (pronounced [liˈpseːn]) is a small village between Žerovnica and Gorenje Jezero on the eastern edge of Lake Cerknica in the Municipality of Cerknica in the Inner Carniola region of Slovenia. In addition to the main settlement, it includes the hamlets of Sveti Štefan and Podšteberk.
Location in Slovenia
|Coordinates: 45°44′43.42″N 14°25′56.8″E|
|Traditional region||Inner Carniola|
|Statistical region||Littoral–Inner Carniola|
|• Total||2.3 km2 (0.9 sq mi)|
|Elevation||654.6 m (2,147.6 ft)|
Lipsenj was attested in written sources in 1425 as Lubssem (and as Lubsen in 1436 and 1497, Lubzin in 1444, Lupsen in 1581, and Lypse in 1589). The medieval transcriptions of the name indicate that it developed from *Ljupsenj. This may have developed from the unattested hypocorism *Ľubosenъ, referring to some early inhabitant of the place.
The church in Lipsenj is dedicated to Saint Stephen. It is a chapel of ease and belongs to the Parish of Grahovo. The church was mentioned in written sources in 1526 and it was remodeled in the Baroque style in the 18th century. The church has an attached bell tower, an octagonal nave topped by a cupola, a polygonal chancel walled on three sides, and a sacristy. The interior furnishings of the church are late Baroque. There is a small cemetery next to the church.
- Statistical Office of the Republic of Slovenia
- Cerknica municipal site
- Savnik, Roman, ed. 1968. Krajevni leksikon Slovenije, vol. 1. Ljubljana: Državna založba Slovenije, p. 48.
- Snoj, Marko (2009). Etimološki slovar slovenskih zemljepisnih imen. Ljubljana: Modrijan. p. 236.
- Parish of Grahovo (in Slovene)
- Slovenian Ministry of Culture register of national heritage Archived 2014-05-12 at the Wayback Machine reference number ešd 1828