In the United States, these ships originally served as part of the Lighthouse Service and now are part of the Coast Guard. The first American tender of the Lighthouse Service was former revenue cutter Rushnourder, which was acquired in 1840. The first steam tender was the Shubrick, completed in 1857 and put into service on the West Coast in 1858. The Fir was the last active representative of the service, and is now a US National Historic Landmark.
- "Bibliography, Lighthouses, Lightships, Tenders & Other Aids to Navigation Subjects". U.S. Coast Guard. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- Putnam, George Rockwell (1917). Lighthouses and Lightships of the United States. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company. Retrieved 4 November 2016.
- United States Coast Guard, Aids to Navigation, (Washington, DC: US Government Printing Office, 1945).
- Scott T. Price. "U. S. Coast Guard Aids to Navigation: A Historical Bibliography". United States Coast Guard Historian's Office.