Lifeguard is a 1976 American drama film made by Paramount Pictures. It was directed by Daniel Petrie, based upon a screenplay by Ron Koslow. It stars Sam Elliott, Anne Archer, Stephen Young, Parker Stevenson, and Kathleen Quinlan.
|Directed by||Daniel Petrie|
|Produced by||Ron Silverman|
|Written by||Ron Koslow|
|Music by||Dale Menten|
|Edited by||Art J. Nelson|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
Rick Carlson, a 32-year-old lifeguard on a Southern California beach who is prompted to question his goals in life when he receives an invitation to his 15-year high school reunion. At this reunion, he meets his high-school sweetheart, Cathy, now the divorced mother of a young son. They resume their past relationship and Cathy encourages Rick to take a job as a Porsche salesman, offered to him by another high school classmate. Meanwhile, Rick must deal with Wendy, a lonely teenage girl who has developed a crush on him.
Elliott's parents were lifeguards and he had worked as a lifeguard himself. He was cast after Dan Petrie and his wife saw Elliott on TV in Frogs. The film was finished in August 1975 but held by Paramount until the next year. Elliott held off doing any TV in that time because he hoped the film would establish him in features. This did not happen. However Elliott always regarded the movie as a personal milestone. "Dan Petrie did a great job directing that movie; it was shot for something like only $900,000. Those were the days."
- Baywatch, TV film and TV series starring Parker Stevenson
- Movie star Elliott does action flick by the book: [Final Edition] Jay Bobbin Zap2it. Journal - Gazette; Ft.9 Apr 2006: 16W.
- "Lifeguard - film review". Variety. May 26, 1976
- Frankel, David (4 May 2012). "Cherishing Sun-Baked Cinema". The New York Times. Retrieved 2014-09-02.
- Metropolitan: Maggie Daly Chicago Tribune (1963-1996); Chicago, Ill. [Chicago, Ill]10 June 1976: a10.
- LA CLIPS Riding the waves to new success Deans, Laurie. The Globe and Mail 15 Mar 1985: E.7.
- home q&a: dorothea & dan petrie with persistence and talent they have fashioned careers out of a passion for drama home q&a home q&a home q&a Berges, Marshall. Los Angeles Times 30 July 1978: q24.
- The Mann Behind Chinese Champlin, Charles. Los Angeles Times (1923-1995); Los Angeles, Calif. [Los Angeles, Calif]05 Dec 1975: h1.
- Lifeguard on IMDb
- Lifeguard at the TCM Movie Database
- Lifeguard at AllMovie
- Lifeguard at Rotten Tomatoes