Le Splendid is a café-théâtre company founded by a collection of writers and actors in the 1970s - Christian Clavier, Michel Blanc, Gérard Jugnot, Thierry Lhermitte (four childhood friends who knew one another from the Lycée Pasteur in Neuilly-sur-Seine), Josiane Balasko, Marie-Anne Chazel, Bruno Moynot and Claire Magnin. The members of the company went on to become some of the most significant actors and directors in French cinema from the 1980s onwards and have collectively won many César awards.
Anémone, Dominique Lavanant and Martin Lamotte have often worked with the troupe on stage and in films, but are not part of the collective. The café-théâtre was located in the rue des Lombards in the 4th arrondissement of Paris.
- 1978 : French Fried Vacation directed by Patrice Leconte
- 1979 : French Fried Vacation 2 directed by Patrice Leconte
- 1982 : Santa Claus Is a Stinker directed by Jean-Marie Poiré
- 1983 : Gramps Is in the Resistance directed by Jean-Marie Poiré
- 1994 : Dead Tired directed by Michel Blanc
- 2006 : French Fried Vacation 3 directed by Patrice Leconte
Individually each member of Le Splendid has had a successful career, collectively comprising hundreds of films and plays.
Movies starring one or all members of the Splendid with more than a million of ticket sales.
- Christian Clavier play in 25 movies over a million of entries. The films in which he played has sold 122 167 881 ticket.
- Thierry Lhermitte play in 29 movies over a million of entries. The films in which he played has sold 109 850 038 ticket.
- Gérard Jugnot play in 33 movies over a million of entries. The films in which he played has sold 105 415 238 ticket.
- Josiane Balasko play in 26 movies over a million of entries. The films in which she played has sold 78 534 082 ticket.
- Michel Blanc play in 21 movies over a million of entries. The films in which he played has sold 69 400 706 ticket.
- Marie-Anne Chazel play in 16 movies over a million of entries. The films in which she played has sold 60 138 655 ticket.
|1986||Best Actor Award||Michel Blanc||Tenue de soirée||Won|
|1994||Palme d'Or||Dead Tired||Nominated|
|Best Screenplay Award||Won|
|2004||European Film Award for Best Actor||Gérard Jugnot||The Chorus||Nominated|
|1995||Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign Language Film||Josiane Balasko||French Twist||Nominated|
- Serandour, Marianne (21 Sep 1995). "Les visiteurs du ciel" (in French). L'Express. Retrieved 2009-08-07.