Le Lapérouse is the lead ship of the Ponant Explorers-class of cruise ships operated by Ponant. Each member of the class has been allocated the name of a famous French explorer, and Le Lapérouse is named after naval officer Jean-François de Galaup, comte de Lapérouse.
Le Lapérouse in the Kiel Canal, 31 August 2018
|Port of registry:||Wallis and Futuna|
|Laid down:||1 March 2017|
|Launched:||18 December 2017|
|Sponsored by:||Maryvonne Pinault|
|Christened:||10 July 2018|
|Acquired:||15 June 2018|
|Maiden voyage:||19 June 2018|
|Class and type:||Ponant Explorers-class cruise ship|
Built by VARD, Le Lapérouse had her keel laid down at VARD's Tulcea yard in Romania on 1 March 2017. She was floated out on 18 December 2017, and was then finally outfitted at the builder's Søviknes facility in Ålesund, Norway. After successful sea trials that began in May 2018, she was delivered to Ponant in Ålesund on 15 June 2018.
The following day, 16 June 2018, Le Lapérouse departed for Reykjavík, Iceland, where she commenced her maiden cruise on 19 June 2018. She was christened by Maryvonne Pinault, the wife of French billionaire businessman François Pinault, at a ceremony in Hafnarfjörður, Iceland, on 10 July 2018.
- Gibson, Rebecca (15 September 2017). "Ponant names four newbuilds after French explorers". Cruise&Ferry.net. Retrieved 10 September 2018.
- Groizeleau, Vincent (4 July 2017). "Ponant : Mise sur cale des Bougainville et Dumont d'Urville" [Ponant: Staging of Bougainville and Dumont d'Urville]. Mer et Maritime (in French). Retrieved 18 November 2018.
- "Le Lapérouse Heading to Norway from Tulcea". Cruise Industry News. 28 December 2017. Retrieved 9 September 2018.
- "Le Laperouse Arrives in Norway for Final Outfitting". Cruise Industry News. 25 January 2018. Retrieved 9 September 2018.
- Gibson, Rebecca (5 June 2018). "Le Lapérouse successfully completes first sea trials in Norway". Cruise&Ferry.net. Retrieved 9 September 2018.
- "Le Lapérouse Delivered". Cruise Industry News. 19 June 2018. Retrieved 9 September 2018.
- James, Lindsay (18 June 2018). "French cruise company Ponant takes delivery of Le Lapérouse". Cruise&Ferry.net. Retrieved 9 September 2018.
- Gibson, Rebecca (13 July 2018). "Ponant names Le Lapérouse in Hafnarfjörður". Cruise&Ferry.net. Retrieved 9 September 2018.