Le Gardeur Bridge
Le Gardeur Bridge
|Crosses||Rivière des Prairies|
|Official name||Pont Le Gardeur|
|Maintained by||Transports Québec|
The bridge has two different sections across the Rivière des Prairies which are separated by Île Bourdon. The length of the two structures is 297 metres (974 ft) (west) and 565 metres (1,854 ft) (east).
Built in 1939, the bridge underwent a major reconstruction in 2001 as well as the addition of a reserved lane for the Metrobus on the eastern structure. The work included the demolition, reconstruction and widening of the bridge deck (that included the new transit lane) and its approaches as well as the rehabilitation of the 24 pillars. The Quebec Ministry of Transportation also made emergency repairs in 1999 to solidify the structure while frequent inspections were made between 1999 and the reconstruction of the bridge which was estimated at over $26 million.
The bridge is part of Quebec Route 138, which runs from the Canada–United States border southwest of Huntingdon to the Côte-Nord region via Trois-Rivières and Quebec City. It is one of only two river crossings at the eastern tip of Montreal to the Lanaudière region (Repentigny, Charlemagne and Lavaltrie areas), the other being the Charles de Gaulle Bridge on Quebec Autoroute 40.
Each day, approximatively 20,000 vehicles use the bridge, which is an alternative route to the more congested Charles de Gaulle Bridge during rush hours. The road has two lanes of traffic in each direction, together with sidewalks and a bicycle lane/path. On both sides of the bridge it is known as Rue Notre-Dame but immediately after crossing the bridge, westbound Route 138 turns into Sherbrooke Street via a new roundabout through most of the eastern half of the island including downtown Montreal.
The bridge is named after Pierre Legardeur (1600–1648), former New France general and the first lord of Repentigny.