Le Commandant Charcot
Le Commandant Charcot is an icebreaking cruise ship under construction for the French shipping company Compagnie du Ponant. Named after the French polar scientist Jean-Baptiste Charcot, the vessel is currently being built at Vard Tulcea shipyard in Romania, from where she will be moved to Søviknes for final outfitting and delivery in 2021.
|Name:||Le Commandant Charcot|
|Owner:||Compagnie du Ponant|
|Port of registry:||
|Cost:||NOK 2.7 billion|
|Laid down:||December 2018|
|In service:||2021 (planned)|
|Identification:||IMO number: 9846249|
|Tonnage:||About 30,000 GT|
|Length:||150 m (492 ft)|
|Beam:||28 m (92 ft)|
|Draught:||10 m (33 ft)|
|Ice class:||Polar Class 2|
|Propulsion:||Diesel-electric; two ABB Azipod propulsion units (2 × 17 MW)|
|Speed:||15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph) (open water)|
|Capacity:||270 passengers in 135 cabins|
Le Commandant Charcot will be a Polar Class 2 rated icebreaking vessel capable of reaching remote polar destinations such as the Geographic North Pole. She will feature a hybrid power plant powered by liquefied natural gas (LNG) and electric batteries.
- Le Commandant Charcot. Le Commandant Charcot. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- VARD secures contract for the design and construction of the first electric hybrid cruise icebreaker with LNG propulsion for PONANT. VARD, 18 December 2017. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- Keel Laid for Le Commandant Charcot. Cruise Industry News, 27 December 2018. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- Wärtsilä to power Ponant’s world-first hybrid electric icebreaker. Seatrade Cruise News, 21 October 2018. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- Wärtsilä 31DF. Wärtsilä. Retrieved 2019-02-10.
- World’s first hybrid icebreaker for cruising powered by ABB. electrive.com, 10 March 2018. Retrieved 2019-02-10.