Offices of the World Company, owner of the Lawrence Journal-World
|Founded||March 2, 1892 (with heritage dating to 1858)|
|Headquarters||1035 N 3rd Street,|
Lawrence, KS 66044
Though the Journal-World title came into existence in 1911, the paper dates itself to 1858, according to the volume number of the current masthead of the paper.
In 1905, the World acquired the Lawrence Journal, and merged the Journal and World in 1911 after a fire destroyed the offices of the Journal. The Lawrence Daily Journal title dates back to 1880, but was a continuation of the Republican Daily Journal which dates back to at least 1869. The Republican Daily Journal appears to have been the successor via sale and/or consolidation of earlier Lawrence newspapers. One of those papers dated to 1858; for years, the Journal-World claimed an 1858 founding date.
In 2005, developers at the paper created the now-popular Django web framework.
In October 2010, the World Company, which owns the Lawrence Journal-World, sold some of its news media business to Internet and cable provider Knology for $165 million. The sale included 6 News, the Lawrence area's local television news channel.
In 2014, the on-site printing of the newspaper ended, with printing moving to The Kansas City Star's production facility in Kansas City, Missouri. Production, editing, and administrative functions remained in Lawrence.
In June 2016, the Simons family announced the sale of the Journal-World after 125 years of ownership, to another long-running family owned company, Ogden Newspapers of Wheeling, West Virginia. Also in 2016 the family's WorldWest, LLC, which owned newspapers in Arizona (the Payson Roundup) and Colorado (the Steamboat Pilot & Today, and the Craig Daily Press), announced their sale to other owners.
On May 1, 2019, the Journal-World's offices moved from the historic post office building on 7th and New Hampshire streets building to an office in North Lawrence. The building is now occupied by Blue Cross Blue Shield of Kansas.
- Newspaper gives 1858 founding however the Journal-World began publishing in 1911 after the Lawrence Journal (1880) and Lawrence World (1892) merged.
- "Lawrence Journal-World: About us". Retrieved 2007-04-27.
- (13 December 1991). A 100-Year Newspaper Tradition, Lawrence Journal-World
- (20 Feb 1911). "Journal-World, The Combination"
- "First Biennial Report of the State Board of Agriculture". 1878. pp. 107–108.
- "Rowell's American Newspaper Directory". 1887. p. 255.
- (16 May 1952). Wilford C. Simons, The New York Times (noting death of Simons on May 15, 1952)
- Fagan, Mark. "Reporter". The Lawrence Journal-World.
- "Kramer publications buying Payson Roundup | Arizona Newspapers Association". Retrieved 2018-02-19.
- Chad Lawhorn (April 1, 2019). "Journal-World offices to move; driver's license office to move, expand next week". Lawrence Journal-World. Archived from the original on May 29, 2019. Retrieved May 29, 2019.
- Chad Lawhorn (April 24, 2019). "Journal-World phone lines to be temporarily impacted by office space move". Lawrence Journal-World. Archived from the original on May 29, 2019. Retrieved May 29, 2019.