The Laurentides (French pronunciation: [lɔʁɑ̃tid]) is a region of Quebec. While it is often called the Laurentians in English, the region includes only part of the Laurentian mountains. It has a total land area of 20,779.19 km2 (8,022.89 sq mi) and its population was 589,400 inhabitants as of the 2016 Census.
|Coordinates: 46°26′N 74°59′W|
|Regional County |
Municipalities (RCM) and Equivalent
|• Regional conference of elected officers||Ramez Ayoub (President)|
|• Land||20,779.19 km2 (8,022.89 sq mi)|
|• Density||28.4/km2 (74/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|Area code||450, 579|
The area was inhabited by the Montagnais First Nations tribe, until French Canadians settled it in the first half of the 19th century, establishing an agricultural presence throughout the valleys. During the 20th century, the area also became a popular tourist destination, based on a cottage and lake culture in the summer, and a downhill and cross-country ski culture in the winter. Ski resorts include Saint-Sauveur and Mont Tremblant.
The Laurentides offer a weekend escape for Montrealers and tourists from New England to Ontario, and with the building of a major highway through the area in the 1970s (Autoroute 15), the area has experienced a lot of growth. Its largest city is Saint-Jérôme, in its extreme southeast, with a 2011 census population of 68,456 inhabitants.
Regional County Municipalities
|Regional County Municipality (RCM)||Population
2016 Canadian Census
(pop. per km2)
|Seat of RCM|
|Antoine-Labelle||35,243||14,976.99 km2 (5,782.65 sq mi)||2.4||Mont-Laurier|
|Argenteuil||32,389||1,252.97 km2 (483.77 sq mi)||25.8||Lachute|
|Deux-Montagnes||98,203||243.42 km2 (93.98 sq mi)||403.4||Saint-Eustache|
|La Rivière-du-Nord||128,170||451.02 km2 (174.14 sq mi)||284.2||Saint-Jérôme|
|Les Laurentides||45,902||2,479.05 km2 (957.17 sq mi)||18.5||Saint-Faustin–Lac-Carré|
|Les Pays-d'en-Haut||41,877||683.46 km2 (263.89 sq mi)||61.3||Sainte-Adèle|
|Mirabel (Equivalent Territory)||50,513||485.07 km2 (187.29 sq mi)||104.1||Mirabel|
|Thérèse-De Blainville||157,103||207.20 km2 (80.00 sq mi)||758.2||Bois-des-Filion|
- "Census Profile, 2016 Census: Laurentides [Economic region], Quebec". Statistics Canada. Retrieved November 24, 2019.
- "La région des Laurentides, ainsi que ses MRC et TE". Profils des régions et des MRC (in French). Quebec: Institut de la statistique du Québec. 2011. Archived from the original on 9 February 2012. Retrieved 26 June 2012.
- "Population and Dwelling Count Highlight Tables, 2016 Census". Statistics Canada. Retrieved November 26, 2019.
- (Mirabel is both a City and a territory equivalent to a regional county municipality)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Laurentides.|
- Portail régional des Laurentides Portail régional des Laurentides
- Tourisme Laurentides Official website — Site Officiel
- Événements culturels dans les Laurentides