Laurens W. Molenkamp
Laurens W. Molenkamp (born 4 August 1956) is a professor of physics and Chair of Experimental Physics at the University of Würzburg. He is known for his work on semiconductor structures and topological insulators.
Laurens W. Molenkamp
Laurens W. Molenkamp. Photo credit to Erwin Molenkamp
|Born||4 August 1956|
|Known for||topological insulators|
|Awards||2010 Europhysics Prize|
2012 Oliver E. Buckley Condensed Matter Prize
2013 Physics Frontiers Prize
2014 Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize
|Fields||condensed matter physics|
|Institutions||University of Würzburg|
Laurens W. Molenkamp is an experimental condensed matter physicist. He received his Ph.D. in physical chemistry from the University of Groningen, and spent several years first with Philips Research Laboratories in Eindhoven and then as Associate Professor at the RWTH in Aachen. He came to the University of Würzburg in 1999 and is now the Chair of Experimental Physics III and leads the II-VI MBE (molecular beam epitaxy) unit. His research interests include quantum transport in nanostructures, semiconductor spintronics, and optical spectroscopy of semiconductors. He was a co-recipient of the American Physical Society 2012 Oliver E. Buckley Condensed Matter Prize for his experimental observation of the quantum spin Hall effect, opening up the field of topological insulators. Since 2012, he has been the Editor of the physics journal Physical Review B. He was a 2013 Physics Frontiers Prize laureate (shortlisted for the Fundamental Physics Prize). Thomson Reuters included him on their annual prediction shortlist for the 2014 Nobel Prize for Physics for his experimental research, with Charles L. Kane and Shoucheng Zhang, on the quantum spin Hall effect and topological insulators.
- Fellow, American Physical Society
- 2010 Europhysics Prize
- 2012 Oliver E. Buckley Condensed Matter Prize
- 2013 Physics Frontiers Prize laureate (shortlisted for the Fundamental Physics Prize)
- 2013 Foreign membership of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences
- 2014 Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz Prize
- 2017 Stern-Gerlach Medal
- 2017 King Faisal International Prize
- 2018 Bavarian Maximilian Order for Science and Art
- "Curriculum Vitae, Laurens W. Molenkamp" (PDF). Universität Würzburg. 2018. Retrieved 12 December 2018.
- "Topological quintet bags Europhysics prize", Physics World, 21 June 2010
- Official Page for Oliver E. Buckley Condensed Matter Physics Prize
- "Editorial: Laurens Molenkamp on Assuming the Editorship of Physical Review B", Phys. Rev. B 85, 180001 (2012), Physical Review B, 8 May 2012
- Official APS announcement, APS News, March 2012
- About Physical Review B
- Thomson Reuters Nobel Laureates Prediction
- "Laurens Molenkamp". Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on 13 February 2016. Retrieved 13 February 2016.
- Deutsche_Forschungsgemeinschaft Press Release (in German)
- APS Press Release
- "Terminhinweis: Ministerpräsident Dr. Markus Söder verleiht Bayerischen Maximiliansorden" (Press release) (in German). Munich: Bayerische Staatsregierung. 11 December 2018. Retrieved 11 December 2018.