Laois County Council
Laois County Council (Irish: Comhairle Contae Laoise) is the authority responsible for local government in County Laois, Ireland. As a county council, it is governed by the Local Government Act 2001. The council is responsible for housing and community, roads and transportation, urban planning and development, amenity and culture, and environment. The council has 19 elected members. Elections are held every five years and are by single transferable vote. The head of the council has the title of Cathaoirleach (Chairperson). The county administration is headed by a Chief Executive, Gerard Murphy. The county town is Port Laoise.
Laois County Council
Comhairle Contae Laoise
William Aird, FG
|24 May 2019|
|I bpáirt leis an bpobal (Irish)|
"In partnership with the community"
|Áras an Chontae, Port Laoise|
Originally meetings of Laois County Council were held in Port Laoise Courthouse. After the courthouse became inadequate, a purpose-built facility, known as County Hall (Irish: Áras an Chontae) was built in May 1982.
Councillors by electoral area
This list reflects the order in which councillors were elected on 24 May 2019.
|Council members from 2019 election|
|Local electoral area||Name||Party|
|Borris-in-Ossory-Mountmellick||Paddy Bracken||Fianna Fáil|
|Séamus McDonald||Fianna Fáil|
|John King||Fine Gael|
|Conor Bergin||Fine Gael|
|Graiguecullen-Portarlington||Pádraig Fleming||Fianna Fáil|
|Aidan Mullins||Sinn Féin|
|Tom Mulhall||Fine Gael|
|Paschal McEvoy||Fianna Fáil|
|Aisling Moran||Fine Gael|
|Port Laoise||William Aird||Fine Gael|
|John Joe Fennelly||Fianna Fáil|
|Caroline Dwane Stanley||Sinn Féin|
|Catherine Fitzgerald||Fianna Fáil|
|Noel Tuohy||Labour Party|
|Mary Sweeney||Fine Gael|
|Thomasina Connell||Fine Gael|
- "About Us". Kilkenny County Council. Retrieved 3 November 2019.
- "Our town c. 1850 - 2000". Portlaoise Pictures. Retrieved 3 November 2019.
- "Survey of Architectural Heritage of Port Laoise" (PDF). Laois County Council. 1 December 2008. p. 17. Retrieved 3 November 2019.
- "1979 Election Memories: The men in suits, the dealing in Donoghues, and Charlie McDonald loses out to Paddy Lalor for Europe". Laoise Today. 24 May 2019. Retrieved 3 November 2019.
- "2014 local elections – Laois County Council". ElectionsIreland.org. Retrieved 2 June 2014.