Langley Mill is a small town in the Amber Valley district of Derbyshire, England. It is on the border of Nottinghamshire, and merges into the towns of Aldercar (to the north) and Heanor (to the southwest). Across the River Erewash is the Nottinghamshire town of Eastwood. It is part of the Aldercar and Langley Mill parish. (The boundary used to be the River Erewash, but the boundary was moved in 1992 and is now the A610; this means that the Erewash Canal basin is now in Langley Mill.) Langley (not Langley Mill) is in the Heanor and Loscoe parish.
Originally named Long Lea, the village of Langley Mill was a major employer throughout the mid 1900s with many companies including The Flour Mill, Langley Mill Pottery, Aristoc & Co Ltd, G.R. Turners, and Vic Hallam Limited.
Aristoc & Co Limited on North Street became a target for German Bombers during the Second World War. Originally a manufacturer of silk stockings, Aristoc manufactured parachutes, inflatable dinghies, etc., for the war effort. The buildings have now been replaced with housing.
International Superbike champion Ron Haslam hailed from Langley Mill. He won many titles in the 1970s and early 1980s on the international motorcycle scene, pitting his natural talents against major stars including Barry Sheene.
The town is at the junction of the Erewash Canal, the Cromford Canal, and the Nottingham Canal. The town is the site of Langley Mill railway station, on the Erewash Valley Line. The A610 £2.5 million Langley Mill Bypass was opened on 8 September 1983, by Joe Carty, the leader of Derbyshire County Council.
The town has an Asda supermarket, which also has one of the town's two petrol stations. The second petrol station is owned by a petroleum company and also has a Starbucks inside. The town also has a Lidl, KFC, Home Bargains and McDonald's.
A greyhound racing track, known as the Victory Greyhound track was opened on ground adjoining the New Inn on 19 April 1930. The racing was independent (not affiliated to the sports governing body the National Greyhound Racing Club) known as a flapping track, which was the nickname given to independent tracks. The track also hosted whippets and the main distances for greyhounds was 330 and 500 yards. The date of closure is not known.
- Local Government Boundary Commission for England Report No. 599
- Barnes, Julia (1988). Daily Mirror Greyhound Fact File. Ringpress Books. ISBN 0-948955-15-5.
- "Langley Mill and Newhall Dogs - Thursday 21 August". The Derby Daily Telegraph. 1930.