Landmark (video game)
Landmark was a massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed and published by Daybreak Game Company (originally Sony Online Entertainment) for Microsoft Windows. The game's original name was EverQuest Next Landmark, but was switched to Landmark in March 2014. The original purpose for EverQuest Next Landmark was mainly as a player content creation tool for EverQuest Next. Landmark was released in June 2016, and was playable until the servers were shut down in February 2017.
|Developer(s)||Daybreak Game Company|
|Publisher(s)||Daybreak Game Company|
|Release||June 10, 2016|
|Genre(s)||Massively multiplayer online role-playing game|
The original purpose for EverQuest Next Landmark was mainly as a player content creation tool for EverQuest Next. In April 2014, Dave Georgeson, director of development on the EverQuest series, told Polygon in the interview that "Sony Online [Daybreak] won't ever be finished making Landmark". On February 2, 2015, Sony sold Sony Online Entertainment to the investment company Columbus Nova, who renamed it Daybreak Game Company. In June 2015, it was announced that Daybreak Game Company shifted its focus of development from Landmark to EverQuest Next, meaning that "any features that are Landmark-only are lower in priority and will have to wait until we have time to come back to them."
On March 11, 2016, Daybreak Game Company president Russell Shanks announced that EverQuest Next had been cancelled. Also an announcement on official Landmark forums was made by an executive producer of EverQuest and EverQuest II that Landmark would be launching in 2016. On January 5, 2017, only seven months after its release, Daybreak announced they would be shutting down the game's servers, as well as the accompanying forums and social media channels, on February 21, 2017.
- "Composer Jeremy Soule signs exclusivity deal with SOE for EverQuest Next and Landmark". VG247.com.
- "EverQuest Next Landmark is now just Landmark". MMO Attack. 25 Mar 2014. Retrieved 7 May 2014.
- ""About"-page on Landmark website". Sony Online Entertainment. 11 Aug 2014.
- Samit Sarkar. "How Landmark forced Sony Online to change its usual development model". Polygon.
- "Producer's Letter: June 2015". Daybreak Game Company. 5 June 2015.
- "EQN News: A Letter from Daybreak's President". Daybreak Game Company. 11 Mar 2016.
- "Landmark Launching Spring 2016!". Daybreak Game Company. 11 Mar 2016.
- "Important News About Landmark". Daybreak Game Company. 5 Jan 2017.