A LaMont boiler is a type of forced circulation water-tube boiler in which the boiler water is circulated through an external pump through long closely spaced tubes of small diameter. The mechanical pump is employed in order to have an adequate and positive circulation in steam and hot water boilers.
Martin Benson was the first to work on the idea of forced circulation drum boilers. Later, Walter Douglas La Mont brought the idea from papers to existence.Walter Douglas La Mont introduced the concept of this forced circulation boiler in the year 1918. La Mont was a Navy Lieutenant Commander and an engineer in the US Navy. He died 1942 of a heart attack in New York.
The initial designs of La Mont for this boiler confirmed the lighter, safer and higher rates of heat transfer and evaporation per square foot as compared to that of the standard water tube boilers, also the circulation of vaporized water at a differential pressure of 2.5 bar was 8 to 10 times . The time duration needed for starting a La Mont Boiler to be able to deliver an evaporation rate of 100,000 pounds per hour was between 15 and 20 mins and simultaneously was able to deliver peak loads. During the World War II the U.S navy used and relied mainly upon the Babcock & Wilcox boilers which were used commonly in those years. On the other hand, thousands were built in Europe and several German and Japanese ships used La Mont boilers.
The circulation of water and steam mixture takes with the help of an external pump which supplies water at a higher pressure than in a natural circulation boiler.
A centrifugal pump which forms the heart of this boiler is responsible to circulate water within the boiler system. It receives water from the drum and delivers this water to a distribution header as shown in the diagram here. The number of headers may differ in numbers and depends on the size and boiler design of each boiler.
The boiler heating surfaces includes a number of tubes arranged in a parallel form and the inlet ends are welded to the distributors or the headers. A circulation pressure is to be provided during the installation of the pump as per the boiler design and it should be sufficient to over come the resistance offered by the tubes. An even circulation takes place with the helps of the inlet nozzles provided at the inlet of tubes which creates the differential pressure adequate to cover the variations occurring at fluctuating loads or uneven firing conditions. The riser tubes outlet is welded to the collector headers and also directly to the drum containing steam and water .
- Rajput, R.K. (2005). Comprehensive Basic Mechanical Engineering. Firewall Media. pp. 225–. ISBN 9788170084174. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- Spencer, J. F. (1859). Description of a New Construction of High Pressure Steam Boiler. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, 1859, pp. 264-278.
- La Mont, Walter Douglas (1918). Steam generator. US Patent No. 1545668
- "Comdr. La Mont, Naval Engineer. Designer of Boiler now used with Success in many Navies dies in 53d Year". The New York Times. 20 January 1942. p. 19.
- Mayer, Fritz (1986). Kesselbetriebstechnik (in German). Germany: Technischer Verlag Resch KG. p. 101. ISBN 3-87806-033-5.