|Manufacturer||London General Omnibus Co. Ltd (LGOC)|
|Body and chassis|
|Floor type||Step entrance|
In 1908 LGOC merged with its two main rivals, London Motor Omnibus Co Ltd (commonly trading as "Vanguard"), and London Road Car Co. Ltd (using the "Union Jack" fleetname). The combined company, using the "General" fleetname, had a fleet of 885 motor buses, although horse-buses remained common. The Chief Motor Engineer, Frank Searle, proposed the LGOC build its own vehicles in premises at Blackhorse Road, Walthamstow, and designs for an initial 20 were put underway.
The prototype vehicle was completed on 12 August 1909 and received its police licence just before Christmas. It was of normal control layout, with the driver behind the engine. The bodywork resembled that of the last horse-bus designs, with an open top deck and seats that ran longitudinally along the sides.
- "Searle, Frank". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Retrieved 30 March 2011. (subscription required)
- Thackray, Brian (2001). The AEC Story:Part 1. Venture Publications Ltd. ISBN 1-898432-37-6
- Thackray, Brian (2004). AEC Vehicles: Origins to 1929. Venture Publications Ltd. ISBN 1-898432-44-9
- Townsin, A. A. (1980). Blue Triangle. Transport Publishing Company. ISBN 0-903839-34-2