Dorval Island or L'Île-Dorval (French pronunciation: [lil dɔʁval]) is a city and an island in southwestern Quebec, Canada, in Lake Saint-Louis off the Island of Montreal. It lies a short distance offshore from the city of Dorval and is connected with a seasonal ferry service.
Dorval Island as painted by Frances Anne Hopkins, 1866.
Montreal and surrounding islands with L'Île-Dorval shown in red.
Location in Greater Montreal
Location in southern Quebec.
|Coordinates: 45°25′56″N 73°44′29″W|
|Constituted||January 1, 2006|
|• Mayor||Gisèle Chapleau|
|• Federal riding||Dorval—Lachine—LaSalle|
|• Prov. riding||Marquette|
|• Total||0.20 km2 (0.08 sq mi)|
|• Land||0.18 km2 (0.07 sq mi)|
|• Density||27.7/km2 (72/sq mi)|
|• Pop 2006-2011|
|Time zone||UTC−5 (EST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC−4 (EDT)|
|Area code(s)||514 and 438|
A cottaging spot, it had only 5 permanent residents as of the Canada 2011 Census, making it the smallest municipality in Canada both in area and population. In the 2001 census the official population had dropped to zero, according to Statistics Canada. However, because not only permanent residents but also property owners are eligible to vote in municipal elections in Quebec, there were 50 registered voters in 2004.
On January 1, 2002, as part of the 2002–2006 municipal reorganization of Montreal, it merged with the city of Montreal to become part of the borough of Dorval–L'Île-Dorval. After a change of government and a 2004 referendum it became independent once again, effective January 1, 2006.
- Reference number 388465 of the Commission de toponymie du Québec (in French)
- "Ministère des Affaires municipales, des Régions et de l'Occupation du territoire: L'Île-Dorval". Archived from the original on 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- Parliament of Canada Federal Riding History: NOTRE-DAME-DE-GRÂCE--LACHINE (Quebec)
- 2011 Statistics Canada Census Profile: L'Île-Dorval, Quebec
- Voting right in Québec; Directeur général des élections du Québec
- Results of June 20, 2004 municipal referendums; Directeur général des élections du Québec