Kunal Singh (c.1977 – 7 February 2008), popularly known as Kunal, was an Indian actor who appeared in Tamil films. He is best known for his role in Kathir's successful film Kadhalar Dhinam (1999). He has acted in 18 movies. His death in 2008 from apparent suicide garnered significant media attention.
A screenshot from the 1999 film Kadhalar Dhinam
|Died||7 February 2008 30) (aged|
After the success of Kadhalar Dhinam, Kunal appeared in a series of movies like Pesadha Kannum Pesume (2002) and Nanbanin Kadhali (2007). His other three box office successes were Paarvai Ondre Podhume (2001), Punnagai Desam (2002), which has Tharun Kumar portraying the lead protagonist and Devathaiyai Kanden (2005), with the latter 2 films featuring him in the supporting protoganistic roles. Several of his other films had delayed releases or were shelved, like Rithik's Kadhalithal Anandam, which would have featured him alongside Livingston and Kausalya. When he was unable to find roles as an actor, he served as assistant editor for several films and turned to producing.
On 7 February 2008, Kunal was found hanging from the ceiling in his Mumbai apartment by actress Lavina Bhatia. The apparent suicide was challenged by his father Rajendra Singh who claimed that the body showed signs of suspicious bruising. Bhatia was detained by police in connection with his death, but she was later released after the police could not prove a motive. The police were unable to prove that anyone was present in Kunal's apartment at the time of his death and ruled out Bhatia as a suspect as Kunal had a black belt in karate; furthermore, Kunal had attempted suicide by slashing his wrists several months earlier. At the time of his death, Kunal was working on a Hindi film, Yogi, which was being produced by his newly formed production company Balagiri. The case was referred to CBI and Prof T D Dogra of All India Institute of Medical Sciences. He examined the scene of crime along with CBI and opined in favor of suicide.
- All films are in Tamil, unless otherwise noted.
|2000||Dil Hi Dil Mein||Raja||Hindi dubbed and partial-remake version of Kadhalar Dhinam|
|2001||Paarvai Ondre Podhume||Vinod|
|Pesadha Kannum Pesume||Vikram|
|Enge Enadhu Kavithai||Babu|
|Sorry Enaku Kalyanamayidichu||Vijay|
|2008||Yogi||Hindi film shelved|
- Renni Abraham (8 February 2008). "I saw actor Kunal Singh hanging, says friend". Daily News & Analysis. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- "Court orders CBI probe into actor's murder". Times of India. 18 December 2009. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- Jaidev Hemmady (8 December 2009). "Plot thickens in Bollywood murder mystery". Indian Express. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- "Actor found dead in Lokhandwala flat". Indian Express. 8 February 2008. Retrieved 16 August 2010.
- "Bombay High Court,Ms.Lovina Pankaj Bhatia vs Central Bureau Of Investigation on 12 August, 2011". Bombay High Court. 12 August 2011. Retrieved 4 January 2014.