Ku! Kin-dza-dza (rus. Ку! Кин-дза-дза) is a 2013 Georgian-Russian animated science fiction film by Georgy Danelia. It is an animated remake of Danelia's 1986 live-action film Kin-dza-dza!. Although it preserves much of the original movie's social commentary, Ku! Kin-dza-dza is notably less dark and dystopian than original, and more targeted towards youth and an international audience. The film is mainly traditionally animated with some computer animation in it.
|Directed by||Georgy Danelia, Tatyana Ilyina|
|Produced by||Konstantin Ernst, Leonid Yarmolnik|
|Written by||Georgy Danelia, Andrey Usachov|
|Starring||Nikolai Gubenko, Andrei Leonov, Alexei Kolgan, Aleksandr Adabashyan|
|Music by||Giya Kancheli|
|Distributed by||CTB, Channel One Russia|
|Budget||140 mln. rubles|
The remake follows the plot of the original with minor changes. While the original story was set in 1980s, the remake is set in 2010s, some of the scenes were altered, and the two new protagonists are different from their 1986 counterparts.
A renowned cellist Vladimir Chizhov (Uncle Vova) and his teenage nephew Tolik meet an alien with a teleportation device. Tolik carelessly pushes a button on the device, and he and Uncle Vova are beamed to the planet Plyuk in Kin-dza-dza galaxy. The planet is a post-apocalyptic desert without resources, ruled by a brutal racist regime. The two travellers meet three locals, Bi, Wef and their robot Abradox, who travel on a pepelats and constantly try to cheat and betray the naive newcomers. Tolik and Uncle Vova have to go a long distance through the rusting world of Kin-dza-dza to find their way home.
- Nikolai Gubenko as Uncle Vova
- Ivan Tsekhmistrenko as Tolik Tsarapkin
- Andrei Leonov as Wef (son of Yevgeny Leonov, who performed the role in the original movie)
- Alexei Kolgan as Bi and Kyrr
- Aleksandr Adabashyan as Abradox
- Georgy Danelia as Camomile and Diogenes
- Igor Kvasha as Yk, a carousel owner
- Irina Devlyashova as Lidka Lisicina
- Polina Kutepova as Tolik's Мother
- Margarita Rasskazova as Astronomer
- Igor Sannikov as Old Man in a wheelbarrow
- Alla Sannikova as Old Woman in a wheelbarrow
- Victoria Radunskaya as Old Woman in the planetarium
- Vakhtang Kikabidze as Trac, a leader of the smugglers
- Galina Danelia-Yurkova as Frosya, Uncle Vova's housekeeper
The film was met with generally favorable reviews in Russian media. It holds an average rating of 82 out of 100 at Russian review aggregator Kritikanstvo. Ku! Kin-dza-dza received positive reviews from Russian version of Empire, Mir Fantastiki, Argumenty i Fakty, Rossiyskaya Gazeta, Trud and Izvestiya, and mediocre ratings from Lenta.ru, Vedomosti and Afisha. Outside Russia, Vassilis Kroustallis at Zippyframes gave the film a positive review.
- Kritikanstvo.ru. Оценки и рецензии на фильм Ку! Кин-дза-дза (2013)
- Ku! Kin-Dza-Dza review: Cello and Planet Sympathy. 04 September 2013 10:50
- "2013 APSA Winners". 12 December 2013. Retrieved 2013-12-12.
- Премию «Ника» получили «Ку! Кин-дза-дза» Данелии и «Труба» Манского