Kristen Denise McCarthy (born February 28, 1990 in La Puente, California) is an American professional basketball player for Snæfell. She won the Icelandic championship with Snæfell in 2015 when she was also named the Úrvalsdeild Foreign Player of the Year and the Úrvalsdeild Playoffs MVP.
|No. 5 – Snæfell|
|Born||February 28, 1990|
La Puente, California
|Listed height||182 cm (6 ft 0 in)|
|High school||Bishop Amat|
(La Puente, California)
|2013||Tarbes Gespe Bigorre|
|2015||BC ICIM Arad|
|2015–2016||SV Halle Lions|
|2016–2017||Eisvögel USC Freiburg|
|Career highlights and awards|
McCarthy played basketball at Temple University from 2008 to 2012. She was a First Team All-Atlantic 10 Conference in 2010 and made the Second Team in 2011 and 2012. In total she scored 1604 points in 129 games for the school.
During the 2014–2015 season, McCarthy played for Snæfell in the Icelandic Úrvalsdeild where she helped the club win the Icelandic Super Cup and the Icelandic national championship. She finished second in the league in scoring, behind Lele Hardy, and was named both the Úrvalsdeild foreign player of the year and the playoffs MVP.
McCarthy's next stop was in Romania with BC ICIM Arad which played in the Liga Națională and the Central Europe Women's League. She was let out of her contract in December 2015 as the club was having financial difficulties and shortly later signed with SV Halle Lions of the Damen-Basketball-Bundesliga. After two seasons in Germany, McCarthy, a fan favorite at Snæfell, signed with the club again in July 2017.
On October 8, 2017, McCarthy scored 53 points in a victory against Skallagrímur in the Úrvalsdeild kvenna. She broke the 50 point barrier again on November 22, when she scored 50 points in a losing effort against defending champions Keflavík. On December 3, McCarthy had a quadruple-double in a victory against Njarðvík with 31 points, 15 rebounds, 12 steals and 10 assists. For the season she averaged 29.2 points, 13.4 rebounds and 4.1 assists.
In her first 12 games of the 2018-2019 season, McCarthy averaged 40.1 minutes per game, including a 50 minutes played in a double overtime game against Breiðablik. She missed the last three games of the season due to a concussion. Snæfell won the first two of those games but lost the last game of the season to Valur and therefore did not qualify for the playoffs. For the season she averaged 28.8 points, 14.0 rebounds, 6.0 assists and league leading 4.2 steals per game.
Owing to the severity of the concussion, McCarthy was expected to sit out the entire 2019-2020 season. Instead, the team had plans for her to join the coaching staff when she received a green light from doctors to fly.
Awards and accomplishments
- First Team All-Atlantic 10 Conference (2010)
- Second Team All-Atlantic 10 Conference (2011, 2012)
- Philadelphia Big 5 Player of the Year (2010)
- "WNBA Prospect Profile - Kristen McCarthy - Temple". wnba.com. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- Símon B. Hjaltalín (27 April 2015). "Þetta er frábær tilfinning". Mbl.is. Morgunblaðið. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- Þórðarson, Tómas Þór (8 May 2015). "Pavel og Hildur bestu leikmenn tímabilsins". Vísir.is. Retrieved 9 August 2017. (in Icelandic)
- Ásgeirsson, Eiríkur Stefán (28 April 2015). "Ég elska Snæfell og elska að vera í þessum bæ". Vísir.is. Retrieved 9 August 2017. (in Icelandic)
- "Snæfell Íslandsmeistari annað árið í röð". Rúv.is. 27 April 2015. Retrieved 9 August 2017. (in Icelandic)
- "Kristen McCarthy: Ég elska það að spila á Íslandi". Vísir.is. 8 April 2015. Retrieved 9 August 2017. (in Icelandic)
- "SV Halle Lions Kristen McCarthy ist die seelsorgende Profispielerin". mz-web.de. Mitteldeutsche Zeitung. 7 January 2016. Retrieved 9 August 2017. (in German)
- "Mamman bauð öllu liðinu í kalkúnaveislu". Vísir.is. 23 December 2014. Retrieved 9 August 2017. (in Icelandic)
- "McCarthy á Íslandi og ætlar að sjá Snæfell lyfta fjórða titlinum í röð". Karfan.is. 6 April 2017. Retrieved 9 August 2017. (in Icelandic)
- Jónsson, Óskar Ófeigur (13 July 2017). "Snæfellskonur endurheimta Íslandsmeistarakana og mikinn Íslandsvin". Vísir.is. Fréttablaðið. Retrieved 9 August 2017. (in Icelandic)
- "McCarthy til Snæfells á ný". Mbl.is. Morgunblaðið. 14 July 2017. Retrieved 9 August 2017. (in Icelandic)
- Lárusson, Dagur (8 October 2017). "Kristen McCarthy með 53 stig í sigri Snæfells". Vísir.is (in Icelandic). Retrieved 8 October 2017.
- "Skallagrímur - Snæfell: Boxscore". fibalivestats.com. Retrieved 8 October 2017.
- Tómas Þór Þórðarson (22 November 2017). "Blikarnir halda áfram að koma á óvart - Öll úrslit kvöldsins". Vísir.is (in Icelandic). Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- Dagur Lárusson (3 December 2017). "Snæfell með sigur á Njarðvík". Vísir.is (in Icelandic). Retrieved 3 December 2017.
- "Kristen framlengir við Snæfell". Morgunblaðið (in Icelandic). 14 June 2018. Retrieved 16 June 2018.
- Óskar Ófeigur Jónsson (13 December 2018). "Kristen búin að spila meira en heilan leik að meðaltali í vetur". Vísir.is (in Icelandic). Retrieved 14 December 2018.
- Ástrós Ýr Eggertsdóttir; Helgi Hrafn Ólafsson (26 March 2019). "Umfjöllun og viðtöl: Valur - Snæfell 82-56 - Snæfell ekki í úrslitakeppnina". Vísir.is (in Icelandic). Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Kristen Denise McCarthy - 2018-2019". kki.is (in Icelandic). Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- "Úrvalsdeild kvenna - 2018-2019". kki.is (in Icelandic). Retrieved 27 March 2019.
- Helgi Hrafn Ólafsson (9 October 2019). "Gunnhildur: Veit eiginlega ekki hvað gerðist". Vísir.is (in Icelandic). Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- Bjarni Helgason (2 November 2018). "Dreymir um landsliðið". Morgunblaðið (in Icelandic). Retrieved 2 November 2018.
- "Paoline Salagnac, capitaine du Tarbes-Gespe-Bigorre : «La fin de saison est à l'image de l'équipe". ladepeche.fr (in French). 26 April 2013. Retrieved 9 August 2017.
- Úrvalsdeild profile at kki.is
- Eurobasket.com profile
- WNBA.com: Prospect: Kristen McCarthy
- DBBL profile at dbbl.de
- Temple University profile at owlsports.com