Kreis Znin

Kreis Znin was a Kreis (district) in the northern administrative government region of Bromberg, in the Prussian province of Posen, from 1887-1919. Its capital was Znin (Żnin).


The Znin District was created in 1887 out of parts of Kreis Schubin. The end of the 19th century was a period of intensive economic development for urban and the rural area. A sugar factory was built from 1893-94.

Kreis Znin was part of the military command in Posen (German: Bezirkskommando) at Gnesen (Gniezno). The main court (German: Landgericht) was in Bromberg (Bydgoszcz), with lower courts (German: Amtsgericht) in Znin and Exin (Kcynia).

Rebels from the district participated in the Greater Poland Uprising in 1919 after World War I. The district was dissolved when the territory became part of the Second Polish Republic.

During World War II, the territory of the former district was included within Landkreis Dietfurt (Wartheland).


A narrow-gauged railway line of the Prussian Eastern Railway through Żnin was completed from 1894-95. The first section of the 600 mm gauge Kleinbahn des Kreises Znin (local line of the Znin District) opened from Znin to Rogowa (19.4 km) on 1 July 1894, together with a branch from Biskupin through Gąsawa to Szelejewo (8.2 km). On 9 June 1895 the Rogowo line was extended by 12.3 km to Ośno. In 1908 a branch to Ostrowce was added, and in 1911 a further 15.8 km branch opened to Obiecanowo. In the following year another 5.5 km branch opened to Wola, and in 1913 the Szelejewo line was extended to Grochowiska Szlacheckie. Finally, a 2 km section from Obiecanowo to Żużoły brought the system up to 78 km.

On 1 June 1889, a railway connection to the regular railway network was completed. This provided direct trains to Hohensalza (Inowrocław), Damasławek, and Rogasen (Rogoźno). By 1 November 1895 it was also connected to Bromberg.

The Wenecja Railway Museum opened in 1972, and contains a collection of at least 17 steam locomotives and a variety of rolling stock and other items. It is situated beside the railway, but the display tracks are not connected to the running lines. The railway also runs past the archaeological museum at Biskupin.


"Standesamt" is the German name of the local civil registration offices which were established in October 1874 soon after the German Empire was formed. Births, marriages and deaths were recorded. Previously, only the church records were used for Christians. In 1905, these Standesämter served towns in Kreis Znin:

Gonsawa Janowitz Podobowitz Woycin
Gutenwerder Klein Lasti Rogowo (L) Znin (L)
Herrnkirch Mittelwalde Sartschin

Police districts

In 1905, these police districts (German: Polizeidistrikt) served towns in Kreis Znin:

Gonsawa Janowitz Rogowo Znin

Catholic churches

In 1905, these Catholic parish churches served towns in Kreis Znin:

Birkenfelde Gorzyce Janowitz Lindenbrück Ottensund Srebrnagora
Cerekwica Goscheschin Juncewo Lopienno Rogowo Venetia
Gonsawa Goßlerhof Koldromb Lubtsch Ryschewko Zerniki
Gora Hedwigshorst Komsdorf Niestronno Schepanowo Znin

Protestant churches

In 1905, these Protestant parish churches served towns in Kreis Znin:

Bartschin Hallkirch Josephowo Lindenbrück Znin
Exin Herrnkirch Kaisersfelde Rogowo
Groß Mirkowitz Janowitz Lasskirch Zinsdorf

This article is issued from Wikipedia. The text is licensed under Creative Commons - Attribution - Sharealike. Additional terms may apply for the media files.