The Kokomo Jackrabbits are a college summer baseball team based in Kokomo, Indiana. They are a member of the summer collegiate Northwoods League, beginning with the 2019 season. Previously, the team played in the Prospect League. The Jackrabbits play at the 4,000-seat Kokomo Municipal Stadium in downtown Kokomo.
|League||Northwoods League (Great Lakes East 2019-pres)|
|Ballpark||Kokomo Municipal Stadium|
|Former league(s)||Prospect League|
|Colors||Yellow, Orange, Brown |
|Playoff berths||2 (2016, 2018)|
Kokomo's baseball team went through a naming contest in the summer of 2014 before landing on the winning name of "Jackrabbits." Of around 1,000 entries in the online naming campaign, 15 people suggested the name "Jackrabbit" for Kokomo's Prospect League team. The name is the same as a popular automobile developed by the Apperson Brothers in a building adjacent to where Kokomo Municipal Stadium now stands.
Colors & Uniform
|Season||Manager||Record||Win %||League||Division||GB||Post-season record||Post-season win %||Post-season result||Notes|
|2016||31–29||.517||6th||2nd||3.5||0–2||.000||Lost Eastern Division championship series|
|2018||37–22||.627||1st||1st||0.0||2-3||.400||Lost Prospect League championship series|
|Prospect League totals||95-84||.531||2-5||.286|
|2019||Inaugural season in the Northwoods League|
On October 20, 2014, Greg Van Horn was named the first Field Manager in Jackrabbits history. After a tumultuous first thirty games to the 2015 season (in which he was ejected three times), Van Horn was relieved of his duties by Matt Howard, who remained in place for the 2016 season.
Howard lead the Jackrabbits to a 46-45 record across his one and a half seasons. Howard then moved on to accept the same position at Indiana University Kokomo, where he became the baseball team's first field manager in school history.
The Jackrabbits then hired former Austin Peay coach and all time Ohio Valley Conference wins leader Gary McClure. McClure posted a 64-55 (.538) record in his two seasons with the club. After leading the team to the Prospect League Championship Series in the 2018 season, it was announced that McClure would be taking over as the first manager of the American Association of Independent Professional Baseball expansion team, the Milwaukee Milkmen (also owned by the Jackrabbits' parent company, ROC Ventures).
- Spedden, Zach (July 5, 2018). "Jackrabbits Shifting to Northwoods League". Ballpark Digest. August Publications. Retrieved July 6, 2018.
- "MKE Sports & Entertainment Unveils Kokomo Baseball Team Name and Logo, Introduces Field Manager" (Press release). Ballpark Business. October 20, 2014. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
- Lance (July 13, 2011). "Apperson Brothers Automobile Company (1902-1926)". Lances Car Site. Archived from the original on November 29, 2014. Retrieved June 16, 2015.
- "Jackrabbits Go 1980s Retro Padres with Unis". Ballpark Business (ballparkbiz.com). October 21, 2014. Retrieved November 14, 2014.
- Munsey, Pat (October 21, 2014). "Baseball team name, coach announced". Kokomo Perspective. Retrieved December 7, 2018.
- Saluke, Mark (May 27, 2017). "Jackrabbits Ready to Roll". Kokomo Tribune. Retrieved December 7, 2018.