Kohi Apna Sa
Kohi Apna Sa is a Hindi drama television series starring Narayani Shastri, Manasi Salvi, Aparna Tilak and Sherrin Varghese. Shruti, Khushi and Sanjana are best friends and coincidentally all three get married in same family. The three friends live a happy life in each other’s company, until tragedy strikes and Shruti’s husband is murdered. The show started with good ratings on Zee TV and also became one of the most watched of channel but suddenly show started losing viewership and went off air in February, 2003. The show re run in 2005 on the same channel due to public demand and attract good viewership.
|Kohi Apna Sa|
Intertitle of Kohi Apna Sa
|Created by||Balaji Telefilms|
|Written by||R M Joshi|
|Directed by||Qaeed Kuwajerwala, Rakesh Jaggi & Neelima Bajpayee|
|Creative director(s)||Monisha Singh Nivedita Basu Ekta R Bahri|
|Opening theme||"Kohi Apna Sa" by Preeti & Pinky|
|Country of origin||India|
|No. of episodes||312|
|Running time||approx. 24 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Balaji Telefilms|
|Original network||Zee TV|
|Picture format||480i (SDTV),|
|Original release||15 October 2001 –|
15 January 2003
Khushi, Shruti and Sanjana are the closest of friends who dote on each other. As luck would have it, they end up getting married to three cousins—Vishal, Tushar and Kabir, respectively—and living in the same house. As they cope with the challenges of adjusting into a huge joint family, their friendship comes under pressure; but they always try to support each other.
Their lives take an unexpectedly tragic turn when Tushar is murdered and his wife Shruti arrested for the crime. Though Shruti protests that she is innocent, she is taken away by the police. Khushi and Sanjana watch helplessly, while the other family members condemn Shruti. Later, they are told that a police van carrying Shruti has met with an accident, killing her along with the other occupants.
Several years later, a successful businesswoman named Mallika Singhania comes in contact with Khushi, Sanjana and their husbands. Friendly at first, Mallika later unveils a ruthless plan for ruining Vishal and Kabir. When Khushi and Sanjana confront Mallika, they make a shocking discovery. Mallika is none other than Shruti, who has survived the accident, but undergone plastic surgery to fix her ruined face. With the support of a wealthy and generous old lady, Shruti has built up a new identity as Mallika. She believes that Vishal and Kabir have killed Tushar and implicated her; so, she is seeking revenge from them. She is also angry with Khushi and Sanjana for having abandoned her.
Mallika a.k.a. Shruti succeeds in getting Vishal and Kabir arrested. But then new evidence appears that reveals a totally different person as the actual murderer. The identity of the murderer who turns out to be Roshni, along with the motive for murder, is disclosed only at the end and leaves everybody flabbergasted. It is revealed that she killed Tushar to get married to his brother Rahul.
- Manasi Salvi as Khushi Vishal Gill
- Narayani Shastri / Smita Bansal as Shruti / Mallika
- Sherrin Varghese / Akhil Ghai as Tushar Gill
- Hrishikesh Pandey as Vishal Gill
- Aparna Tilak as Sanjana Kabir Gill
- Puneet Vasishtha as Kabir Gill
- Vikas Bhalla as Aditya
- Aashish Kaul as Sameer
- Madan Joshi as Mr. Gill (Grandfather Of Vishal, Tushar & Kabir)
- Anju Mahendru as Neelam Gill (Vishal's Mother)
- Neelam Mehra as Sheetal Gill (Kabir's Mother)
- Daman Mann as Raman Gill (Vishal's Father)
- Uday Tikekar as Kabir's Father
- Madhavi Gogate as Raksha Gill (Tushar's Mother)
- Mukesh Raval as Rajan Gill (Tushar's Father)
- Kishori Shahane as Khushi's Mother
- Kanika Shivpuri as Shruti's Aunt
- Sushil Parashar as Sanjana's Father
- Manorama as Elderly Relative Of Gill Family
- Prabhat Bhattacharya as Rahul Gill
- Vaishali Saini as Roshni
- Meenakshi Gupta as Priya
- Smita Singh as Urvashi Gill
- Gunn Kansara / Kavita Kaushik as Rachna Gill
- Mehul Kajaria as Nachiket Gill
- Shabnam Sayed as Tushar's Eldest Sister
- Sagarika Soni as Vishal's Eldest Sister
- Amrita Prakash as Kavita / Komal
- Brijendra persediya as shruti's friend
The show had redefine Indian Television in 2002 as the show was completely different from its sister shows produced under same production house Balaji Telefilms. The show don't had loud music and heavy VFX. The show was high at emotional content and the characters were very relevant to housewives. The character of Khushi Gill played by Manasi Salvi had many related qualities with Indian house wives as she was full of emotions and took decisions by heart not by brain. The show had a reality element while showing the friendship bond. The character of Sanjana played by Aparna Tilak was showcased as an over-confident and smart girl mixture that seems very real. The characters were neither shown in heavy saris and bindis nor there was any over the top drama. The bonding showed among the three friends was appreciable as it was the main focus of the show. The show had good TRPs and viewership unless the complete focus of story didn't shifted to Shruti and Tushar. The show was introduced as a story of three friends and their strong bonding even under hard circumstances but suddenly the complete focus was shifted to Shruti's life and show started losing viewership. A twist introduced of Tushar's murder and show again continued its smooth ride until the story dragged upto more than 150 episodes after which the show lost its number and resulted to go off air by channel.
- Manasi Salvi won Best Actress at 10th Kalakar Awards in the year 2002.
- Rekhha Modi won Best Dialogue Writer at 1st Indian Telly Awards in the year 2002.
- The Show won Best New Serial at 1st Indian Telly Awards in the year 2002.
- The Show won Best Serial at 11th Kalakar Awards in the year 2003.
- Manasi Salvi nominated for Best Actress at 1st Indian Telly Awards 2002.
- The Show nominated for Best Drama Series at 1st Indian Telly Awards 2002.
- The Show nominated for Best Daily Serial at 1st Indian Telly Awards 2002.
- Preeti & Pinky nominated for Best Dialogue Writer at 1st Indian Telly Awards 2002.
- Aparna Tilak nominated for Best Actress in Comic Role at 1st Indian Telly Awards 2002.
- Aparna Tilak and Puneet Vasishtha nominated for Best Jodi at 1st Indian Telly Awards 2002.
- The Show nominated for Best Drama Serial at 2nd ITA Awards 2002
- "Kohi Apna Sa judged Best Serial at 11th Kalakar Awards" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 10 June 2014.